1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Driver problem for USB/RS232

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Numbat, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

Hello Techguy
    I have a USB to RS232 converter which came with a driver disk. I can load the driver in and everything seems to load OK. However, when I then plug in the converter, it can not find the driver.

What it seems to be looking for is a driver called "USB2.0-SER!". However, the device seems to be a Prolific chip device and I would have expected to see it looking for something like "PL2303" or similar. I searched the computer for a driver with this name but no luck.

I went to the Prolific website and downloaded their driver but that didn't work any better.

I know these devices work as I have seen them working on other computers. How do I get it going?

2. NedLud

NedLud

When you "load" the driver, is it installing? or is it extracting to a folder on C:\ ?

If it's extracting, head into Device Manager, and see if there are "unknown devices" there. If so, right-click and "update driver", then choose "have disk", and point it to the extraction folder.

3. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

Yes, but that's the problem. It doesn't tell me where it is extracting too. It appears to install the driver but then the system doesn't find it when I connect the converter up. I assumed it should install to system32/drivers but there is nothing there that looks like Prolific,PL2303 or USB2.0-SER or even USBtoRS232.

Numbat

4. casper0191

casper0191

What about the add hard ware on the control panel?

5. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

OK, problem is solved. I eventually found the right driver for it and it all work fine now.

Thank you for all your help.:)

Numbat.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice