1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DRIVERS (?) / GetLastError()=193 = ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jlrm365, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro, with Service Pack 2. For a while, I have been printing and having no problems. I have an Epson R200 and it works just fine.

The other day, I needed to print some CD labels and could not. That was a problem. The error I saw, and continue to see, is this:

[​IMG]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\ISShel00.DLL, GetLastError()=193

As you can see, there is the word "Drivers" in the error. I thought I would re-install mine.

I did and now I do still get the same error. The difference is that, when I pressed OK, the error message would disappear and I'd just be back on my document.

Now, that error message disappears and I see not the normal print dialogue, but a printer chooser window:

[​IMG]

When I then click to print, I get the same error. Only then, when I click OK, does it disappear.

I have tried re-installing a few times, deleting the printer entirely and then re-installing, using CCleaner to help uninstalls, etc.

Whatever I do, I cannot seem to get around that particular error message and I would REALLY like to get my printer working.

Another odd thing just happened...

Just as I was about to post this query, I thought that I would check it for spelling and ran it through Microsoft Word (part of Office 2007).

When I had finished, cutting the text out of my Word document to post here, the same error (as in my first screenshot) came up. I hadn't even tried to print. I had just, literally, cut the text out of the document.

I am not sure what the connection could be (or if there is one at all), because my label printing software - from the first instance - has nothing to do with Word.

Because I did not want to cloud any issues, I hesitated posting that last bit, but thought that it could also help and I would rather have given a bit more information than too little.

Thanks.

2. jlrm365

jlrm365 Thread Starter

What seemed to be the trouble was a conflict between drivers. I mentioned Office (Word) and it turned out that a component of Office is something called OneNote.

It had installed a printer driver that was causing the problem and, despite my having deleted the printers and used CCleaner, all drivers kept returning.

No advice came from here, so I kept looking around the 'net and found something that did solve my problem:

Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web: How to clean up printer drivers

When you look at his process, steps 1 and 2 are common sense. Not everyone might have considered steps 3 and onward.

There is further advice on other problems, however I did not go beyond step 5 (the last step) because I did not need to.

I deleted both (Epson and OneNote) of my printer drivers and then restarted.

Because I had left the Epson disc in the drive, my Epson driver was back and I was then able to print as normal / expected.

Though the page was last updated in 2004, it's solid advice - for XP, in my case - and I have bookmarked it.

Have a look, if only to confirm what you already knew, as reading them might be of some use in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice