Solved: Drives not recognised HELP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trooper_fan

I installed a NEC ND3520A 16x DVD R/RW this afternoon in my PC along with a Floppy / Flash card drive. The Floppy drive intalled itself and is working but the DVD R/RW refuses to be recognised and what's more now my DVD ROM isn't recognised either. I plugged in all the cables exactly how they were before and now... nothing... they don't show up in the My Computer folder, just the other drives.

HELP!

I run Windows ME and the DVD R/RW is supposed to be plug and play...

Trooper_fan

Wolfeymole said:
What did you set the jumper on the dvd to?
OK, you'll have to explain this to me in babysteps I'm afraid I have no idea what I'm doing. All I did was take the old one out and put the new one in exactly like the old one...

What's a jumper?

Hello Trooper
Ok cdroms/dvdroms either r or rw are like hard drives they need to have the jumpers set to the relation in the chain like this:
Main hard drive C = Primary master. Jumper is set to MA(Master)
The CD or in your case DVDrom could = D. If it's on the same IDE cable the its set to SL, Primary Slave.
IDE cable 2 holds the dvdrw this could be E. This also needs to be set to MA. This device would be Secondary Master. Any other device attached to the No 2 IDE would be set as Secondary Slave.
On the back of the dvd you should see a set of mmm perhaps 6 tiny pins with a piece of plastic connecting two pins, either look for the settings at the back or immedialtely on the back top cover.
Wolfey

Trooper_fan

OK I'll go take a peek and see and get back to you because I can't remember, I remember seeing the Master thing on the sticker on the DVD R/RW and telling you what the other pins were for and such but there's no connection for it unless I've missed something, I just plugged in the IDE cable (40pin thing) and another white plug which went onto 4 pins.

I should say that this is an OEM drive so comes with no cables or instructions or whatnot.

Edit - Before I go it would help if I knew what it should be set to... so I have the C drive as the master, that's fine, then I have a D drive which is something that appeared ages ago and I think is just a partition on my drive? and I want the DVD RW as the E drive and the DVD rom as F then the Flash card drive thing as G and H.

Currently they are A - Floppy / C - Local Disk and D - Local Disk / E - Removable disk (Flash card device with floppy drive) and F also Flash card related.

What should I set them all to?

Ok regarding your "Edit" which is not shown in the main reply I would answer thus:
C is fine as it is set as Primary master. You can have multiple partitions on C, or any other hard drive for that matter, which would, depending when they where installed, have increasing drive letters, like your D drive is.
Your dvdrom appears to have been installed before the dvdrw so that should be E. Installation of the dvdrw should be F.
Try to keep the dvdrom on the other IDE connector on IDE 1 as 2 optical drives on the same IDE may cause problems.
Wolfey

Trooper_fan

It's sorted, I checked the back of the new one against the back of the old one and found the little plastic bit covering 2 of the 6 pins and moved it, now it's working fine!! I didn't know that came off and you could move it, I just figured it was supposed to be where it was.

Thanks so much for your help :D(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online