1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dropped my cell phone in a pool of H2O

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by BWG, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

As noted in the subject line I dropped my cell phone in a pool of water today (the case slipped off my belt while I was playing with the dog) and it was a while before I noticed it sitting in the pool. I immediately removed the battery and the phone is now drying out.

First question: how long should I wait before trying to power it again?

Second question: if it will not power up either on battery or plug is it worth trying to get it repaired? I hate the idea of paying someone to look at it if its not likely to be repairable but I also hate the idea of simply junking it.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    time will depend on how long it takes to completely dry out - where are you drying it out ? - in the past, I has left in an airing cupboard overnight. with the back off

How much is a replacement phone cost

If you have any accidental contents home insurance - then this would be valid to claim on - if covered.

Moved to phones forum

3. burntreality

burntreality

A tip that I have read among many of forums, is to take your phone and place in a bag of rice. The rice will help to draw out in moisture from inside the phone. I have heard about many people having a very good success rate with this. I would say to leave it in there for about 10 days.

4. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply -

I opened all tabs(?) and have left it on the kitchen counter.

I have no idea how much a replacement would be as I got the phone at a discount when I extended my serviced contract. I doubt I could do this again as this was about a year ago.

Good idea about the insurance. Thanks again.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

This is an excellent idea but I do not have 10 days. I need my phone for business and need to get back up and running somehow before that.

7. burntreality

burntreality

I don't know exactly how much moisture is in your phone, 10 days was just being extremely safe. If you follow the link Etaf gave you it says 1 day. I just know this is one of the most proven methods for drying out a wet phone.

8. Charles_Hoxey

Charles_Hoxey

Lots of Phones and Handhelds get wet, and dry out over night.
    I think rice is your best bet.
    Personal story: my friend dropped her blackberry in her Tea... it worked perfectly fine the next day 4 months on, still good to go, without a hitch.
    My iPod touch was left out in the rain as well. that still works a year on.
    Just dry it on something warm or in Rice. I put it on an AGA.

9. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I have my fingers crossed and the phone is in the rice bag till 4 PM tomorrow. Then we will see what the result is.

As soon as I know I will post the result.

Thanks to all.

10. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

I am very happy to report that I put the battery back in the phone and it fired up normally. Thanks a million for your help, much appreciated.

11. burntreality

burntreality

That is awesome, very glad you got your phone working again.

12. BWG

BWG Thread Starter

Yup, and its thanks to the help I got from folks who are knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

13. hawkfire-1776

hawkfire-1776

Try a hair dryer. I dropped mine in the toilet once for about 3 seconds, enough to get water in it. After drying out, it was never the same; kept showing the "phone charging" icon without being plugged in. Still works though.

14. cobalt1

cobalt1

1)wait for abput 7 days atleast....

2) go for repairing it as they do spread some liquid on ic...which dries ur phone...!!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice