1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dropped Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sbrown54, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbrown54

sbrown54 Thread Starter

I recently changed from a Linksys wireless router to a D-Link to obtain a USB connection for my printer. My desktop is wired, my laptop is wireless. I now suffer from the same ills discussed in another thread - (http://forums.techguy.org/networking/487976-dropped-connections-every-5-minutes.html#post3846181) my laptop "drops" the connection randomly. I did not have this problem with the old router (when connected, the D-Link does seem to be faster than the old Linksys but I could have a vivid imagination). Nothing has changed but the router; no new phones, desktop works just fine. If I disconnect and reconnect to the wireless it works for awhile then drops it again. What makes it more frustrating is that it doesn't happen all the time, some days I can work hours without any problem then the next day I can't stay on more than 10 - 15 minutes.

Can it be that my signal strength isn't strong enough? Would an replacement antenna help?

THANKS!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are not using the same channel as before the router switch, try the old channel.

If you have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, unplug the base station and remove the handset's battery to see if this is the cause of the disconnects.

If your wireless adapter is integrated, check the laptop manufacturer's site for the latest driver and utility. If not integrated, check the adapter manufacturer's site.

What is the brand and model of your adapter? Are you using the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC to manage the connection? Do you know that the other utility is NOT running?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How strong is your signal? How does it compare (channel and strength) to other networks in range?

4. sbrown54

sbrown54 Thread Starter

Well, I updated my laptop wireless driver and utility and am now using the adapter's utility instead of Windows' and things are much improved! I've been on several hours now and have not lost the connection once!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, I really appreciate it! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!