1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dropping out from Normal to limited connection every 5-15 minutes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sammy2111, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Basically the problem is,when im on my laptop and im on the internet,the connection goes from normal to Limited (yellow triangle caution sign by connection),non of the pages will load after that,i use diagnostics repair to fix the problem which works about 40% of the time,but is only temporary again.give it 5 minutes after the fix it happens again,diagnostics say the problem is with the wireless adapter card which is built into the laptop itself.i do and dont think this may be the cause since everything house loads perfectly fine but can have the occasional drop out aswell,on average i'd say it drops out about 10 times a day and i find it kind of frustrating.My Laptop is a Acer Aspire v3-531.My internet is with Virgin Media and i get around 60 MBps with them but the disconnections drop it to about 7mbps and keeps going down till the connection is actually gone.

P.S:The intel Proset wireless framework on this computer fails the hardware test straight saying the wirless hardware is not bound to the transport driver? what do i do?

EDIT:Im Using windows 8 X64 Bit!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)
    Regards
    Sam :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if every thing is dropping occasionally
    then
    it may be wireless interference - if all devices are connected by wireless

a few things to try

1) how are all the devices connected -
    2) which one get disconnected
    3) when disconnected what's the status of the lights on the router
    4) how do you get them all working again

Now on your PC - which drops a lot

5) lets see an xirrus screen shot
    6) What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc
    7) have you tried updating the wireless adapter driver from the manufacturers website

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :)
    Could be,but now all the other devices are much slower now considering this,maybe due to the operating channel im on
    but im not tech expert :(

1)all device are connected wireless to the hub/router
    2)Mainly the PC and The PS3
    3)they remain the same like nothing happened,or the light dont flicker at all
    4)i use the windows troubleshooter which temporarily fixes the problem 40% of the time but sometimes
    i just have to wait :(

5) ill post a xirrus shot at the bottom of the post for you :)
    6)Norton internet security suite,since ive only hd the pc a week or so,i have a full active
    subscription
    7)yes but this has messed up kind of,i install the driver but then they claim its missing,shall i
    put a screenie up for that?

Thanks for your Help :)

Xirrus Screenie post below,my network is the top One. :)

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    -68 is quite close to -70 - an you monitor the signal on the graph and see if it drops when the disconnects occur
    do they do this at the same time ?

yes please

if you use the PC nearer to the router - do you still get the disconnects

5. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

okay,so i moved downstairs from upstairs ad the connection ping has got worse(assuming its on its way to going to limited again)
    but the connection speed has got better but the disconnects still happen

So a disconnection happened about 5 minutes ago when both my Laptop and Ps3 were on,the laptop lost the connection and
    went to limited but the ps3 remained the same.so im guessing this narrows it down to a Laptop issue.

takes a while to conenct to data pages Eg:The data download page for the drivers.it used to handle it no problem before

I Will post back when the next disconnection occours and when the drivers have finished downloading

6. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Okay so i just been downstairs, got another limited dconnection,was pretty suprised what minor changes happened to the graph, but here is a snippet

Attached Files:

7. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

I Had another limited Dc but this graph was abit more diffrent,the Dbm gets worse over time,which i think is the cause but im not taking a guess :L

The Graph has been keyed:

Blue-Leading to Limited Connection
    Yellow-Limited Disconnection happens
    Aqua-Windows diagnostics Repairs the connection(will post a snippet of this aswell)
    Black-Leading to another Limited connection

Looking forward to your reply :)

Attached Files:

8. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Anyone got an idea of whats going wrong? wanna have good service which were paying for :D

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    all the wireless signals have disappeared on one screen shot
    is that also what happens

10. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

yes i think so anyway,when the limited connection happens all the connection on xirrus dissapear

11. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

connection isnt relate to anything else except the laptop i think since im online currently on my ps3 and the limited connection occoured and the ps3 stayed online but after about 5 minutes the ps3 dropped out

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That (post # 6) is not a minor variation. Unless something external happened it indicates serious interference or a serious problem with the router, adapter or adapter driver.

13. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Dont wanna sound dumb or anything but,what should i do? :O

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you already have the latest one reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

If you are using an Intel utility stop it and try just using Windows 8 built in utility.

If neither of the above helps try the driver directly from Intel's web site.

15. Sammy2111

Sammy2111 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply terry :)

i tried installing the wirless adapter drivers from acer,the download speed for them is ridiculously slow,checked on inSSIDer
    and only 1 network is overlapping so that might give a tiy bit of interference,

is there a set path to find the windows 8 utility?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice