1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: drwtsn32.exe process running multiple times, OS locked up.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rusthammer, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusthammer

Rusthammer Thread Starter

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with a computer where after the computer has started to seriously lock up. Here are some of the problems that have popped up.

• Dozens of drwtsn32.exe processes running, under different users that are not logged on. (Owner, Administrator) If I try to end the process tree it tells me I do not have administrative access/permission to do so, even when logged in using the Windows Administrator account.
    • Instead of the computer booting up straight into Windowss (XP) it brings up a user/password box with Owner entered by default and using no password it opens.
    • Explorer will not open now unless I bring up the task manager and manually run it
    • Several sections of windows will not open and show no error, though I can often hear the familliar 'thwomp' when Windows has errors pop up on the screen. These areas include accessing users/accounts, mmc, everything in administrative tools (services etc), including finalizing a system restore. When I try to manually type the shortcut paths in, it says the path is invalid.
    • When I start the computer in safe mode, it is the same thing/symptoms.
    I have downloaded Avast! and HijackThis. Avast! works and found a Simile virus, but I have deleted it several times and it keeps coming back. HijackThis will not even open after I installed it.

I searched here and online and found some information on drwtsn32 coming up, but nothing helped. I can try and get any information requested but am seriously limited due to the loss of admin privilages & access to administrative tools.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well, if that's the legitemate Dr.Watson debugger process running, it just means some other program or drivers are crashing hard though I haven't seen an instance where it occurs dozens of times. From the symptoms described though it makes some sense because it seems the problem is with some vital part(s) of the OS. Once its determined that something has crashed by the OS, Dr. Watson starts and almost always crashes or stalls and hangs the system as well, its just one of those things that isn't really useful.

If you can figure out what's causing Dr. Watson to initialize (in other words, what's really crashing, and again, if its a legitemate Dr. Watson) then you may be able to repair the damage. Alternately, if you don't find anything and you know there are good restore points still on the system, even though you can't complete a restore, you can try using Ultimate Boot CD to replace the damaged registry with a working registry. There are also other disk scanning and repair utilities on the UBCD as well but if this was a sudden problem and you really can't think of or trace anything to the cause, I'd replace the registry with a known working one first and foremost.

Good luck.

3. Rusthammer

Rusthammer Thread Starter

I'm just going to format the computer at this point. It has gotten progressively worse (Cannot even log in now)and it was only used for photo editing anyway.

That and I don't want to risk the virus being on the computer afterward either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice