1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DSL drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by renegade X, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade X

renegade X Thread Starter

Hello everyone I am having trouble at home. Since I switched from cable to DSL, I have had nothing but sync issues. Shortly after start of service, I had an ATT tech recable from the street to the box on my house. That helped my speed drastically, but my sync issues persisted. So I cabled the final run from that box to the jack in the wall, still getting the same frustrating crap. I borrowed a modem which does not work since the original Westell modem is set for PPoE and this modem only has PPoE LLC, does that matter? I assume it is Logical Link Control. Sometimes the temp modem detects the sync, so it looks like the modem is not at fault. But, when I do have a sync, it hangs at the PPP stage and claims my credentials are incorrect (I verified from the good modem). This temp modem is a Zoom ADSL, and my service is only DSL, so maybe it is not compatible? I have two more options now:
    1) Replace the phone jack (Do I need a specail phone jack or will any work). I have no other phone lines in use, as I cut everything else, and I have a new filter on the line.
    2) Have a tech come out and replace the box on my house (which really does not have allot going on inside)

I hope someone has answers to those questions, or maybe an idea of what is happening.

BTW, even when my DSL sync is down I can always log into the Westell modem.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is the best way to handle in-house wiring for DSL. If this doesn't do the trick, I would suspect the ISP lines and not your local wiring.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

3. renegade X

YAY, old friend I was hoping you would be around. What about my questions about PPoE LLC and the DSL jacks? I have tried connecting directly to the NID with the DSL filter and connected the modem outside to a laptop, is this what you mean by splitter?

I used CAT5 BTW.

4. JohnWill

Actually, the DSL modem should NOT have a filter. If you disconnect all the in-house wiring and simply run the modem directly to the NID, that will tell you if the inside wiring is bad. When you do this connection to the NID, do NOT use flat phone cable, use DSL certified cables to connect to the modem, they're twisted pair cables.

5. renegade X

OMG John, you mean all this time I have caused this by using that filter???!!!! UGH!!!! Why didn't the ATT tech say anything??? The phone line from jack to modem is certified.If the filter is the culprit, I will be :mad: and :D. Thanks John, hopefully I will mark this as solved when I get home tonight.(y)

6. JohnWill

Everything BUT the modem should be behind a filter for DSL.

Note that there are "special" dual socket filters supplied at times with one DSL and one Phone connection, those pass the DSL connection through and only apply the filter to the Phone connection.

The normal filter with a male and a female connection should never be used on the DSL modem.

7. renegade X

Thanks for your help Johnwill. I did not have the modem going through a filter. All this time it was the modem that was causing drops. 3 months of crappy service for something so simple. Westell replaced with Motorola, so I made out well. (y)I did have a seperate issue in the beginning with my old lines cutting down my bandwidth, so that was not a waste. Glad its all over! :cool:

8. JohnWill

Thanks for the feedback. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice