1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DSL line test good..browsing slow...video not good!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GEOFF, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

That is impressive. And your download speed is full rated because????

I am on phone line and I get for my 5mbit about 4mbit.
    [​IMG]

I have seen other examples of 20% download speed loss.....but yours is full download. Nice.
    G

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I guess that Verizon is trying to convince people that the FiOS service is really good. :D I do notice that my uplink speed isn't quite my full 2mbit speed. ;)

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Pretty impressive all the same. I always find when I use this speed test site versus the last one my speed is lower.............must be something to do with distance/equipment or perhaps politics.....who knows.
    [​IMG]

G

4. JohnWill

Here's mine from a couple of places. The first one is from speedtest.net, then from DslReports, and finally from Speakeasy.net

The all were done to a New York server, so they should be similar. I see that DSL Reports is a bit slower, hard to say why.

Attached Files:

5. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

My internet knowledge is limited, however I suspect that even though the tests were all done to a New York server, the routing and connections may be much different and thus the speed variations. I use to think it was the local line condition and traffic at the time of the test, however, I find the results to the same test site location on repeated tests to be fairly consistent. In other words some locations test lower than others consistently, therefore something in between me and them seems to be causing that result. And other test sites are consistenly higher, suggesting that the routing or lines or equipment is more efficient. Maybe what that means is that when you test your internet connection speed you are also testing the internet performance between you and that particular location.

As an exaggerated example, when I was in Indonesia after the big Tsunami, a main internet cable had been snapped on the seabed and they said it would take almost a year to replace. This was the reason for the slower network speed. Yes, more traffic was on the alternate routes, but when you attempted to visit a web site from a neighbouring country just a few hundred miles away for example, apparently it was routed via North America and/or Europe until the cable could be repaired.

I guess if someone had lots of time they could run multiple speed tests to numerous test sites in each city and work their way around the continent and maybe end up with a health report on the internet...................and get a good average for their own internet speed at the same time...................or maybe not.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my life is too busy for that.

I have found this thread to be very helpful regarding my understanding of internet speeds and tests. I don't know much, but it's much more than when I started.

And though my advertised 5mbits is more like 4mbits, compared to my previous 256dsl it's like driving a Corvette Z06 versus a Toyota Corolla.
    Apologies for the length of the above.
    G

6. JohnWill

You most certainly are testing all the nodes between you and any of the Internet speed test sites, that's correct.

Here's a simple example, obviously my connection didn't change much in the 30 seconds or so. Also, these results are repeatable.

Attached Files:

7. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Lose 1/3 to Dallas & 2/3 to SF! Pretty shocking loses. I never would have thought that. I wonder why this is and how many people are aware of it......

So, a speed test with Singapore or Manilla or London leaves you where I wonder?

Look, here's my result with Vancouver which is very similar to your distance to San Francisco:
    [​IMG]

local to Toronto: very slow tonight but faster than Van.
    [​IMG]

But get a load of this test to Dallas which is a long way shows 1250 miles versus Toronto 50 miles.....faster than Toronto which is just down the road.........
    [​IMG]

So maybe routing plays a part as well as distance.........
    G

8. JohnWill

I'm sure routing plays a major part. My experience in general in the US is that distance is normally the deciding factor. However, coming in from another country, there may be different kinds of bottlenecks.

9. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Makes sense.
    G

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice