Solved: DSL Modem problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JamieNJ

I am trying to help out my father with a problem. Apologies in advance if I do not always respond quickly, as I may need to get to his place and his PC to get answers to questions.

He got DSL from Verizon, but did not realize he needed a LAN card, when they installed the the DSL line. His o/s is W98. He went out and purchased a Linksys Ethernet card, model No. LNE100TX, and installed it. I think he installed the drivers, but his computer is showing the device not present, or not working properly. I reinstalled the drivers and got the same message.
When you go to System Properties-Device Managers tab, under the Network Adapters folder, it shows 7 items; the Linksys, with a yellow icon, and six others, which are AOL Adapter, AOL Dial Up Adapter, Dial Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support), Microsoft Virtual Private Network Adapter and WAN Miniport (ATW). He did have some discussion with support people from Dell, Verizon, and/or Linksys, and someone said something about disabling or removing one or two of hte six adapters above. Sorry to be so vague about this, but he's out of of town, so I am working off of memory. I suspect he did not consciously put all those adapters on (if I am saying that right).

Also, one of the tech people told him something about the Linksys LAN card not working for W98, although the box it came it says it works for 98, as well as XP and 2000 and NT.

Any help would be appreciated, so I can get him up and running with high speed!

Jamie

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd try moving the NIC to a different PCI slot and see if it works there. If you still can't get the drivers installed correctly, it's probably time to pick up another brand of NIC.

JamieNJ

I moved the LAN card to a different slot. I am having a frustating time even trying to install the drivers though. Upon moving it, and re-booting, Windows recognizes the new hardware, and prompts me for the CD. Then the install wizard asks me to install the W98 CD, and tries to look for other files on the CD, like dhcpcsvc.dll and icmp.dll, and asks me for the path on the CD. It does not even look like these files are on the CD at all. Bottom line is I cannot seem to install the LAN card at all, even in the different slot.

I am willing to go out and buy a new LAN card, and return the first. Hopefully the install will go more easily. Any suggestions on a LAN card for a W98 machine?

JamieNJ

In doing a little searching on the web, I have seen that others have the same problem with the LAN card driver install asking for files on the W98 CD, even though the files do not exist there. The person posting that was also using a Linksys card. Is that a known problem? In any case, I may try a different manufacturer's card. Any suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

JamieNJ

I purchased a D-Link card, and had basically the same problem. First time I boot up with the card installed, Windows prompts me to insert the Windows 98 CD Rom in the drive, which I dutifully do, and then it tries to find a whole boatload of .dll files which it cannot find on the CD ROM; e.g., dhcpcsvc.dll, icmp.dll, etc. I finally have to cancel out of the install, and the computer is not aware of the LAN card. By the way, the OS is 98 (specifically, 98 4.10.1998) and not 98 SE. Does that matter? The LAN card box says 98 on the outside; the instruction sheet inside says 98se.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online