Solved: Dual boot from Hdrive or Ext Hdrive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

exceller

HP 2000 - Win 7 - 64bit

Knowing a Dual Boot could be done from a Internal H/D.

But could a Dual Boot be done from a External Hdrive by choice. Such as although I have Win7 on the Laptop, but would like to run Win8 from an Ext Hdrive as trial run before fully committing to Win8.

Or is there another way, basically I don't want to put Win8 on the master Hdrive yet...

thanks

plodr

Liz
In order to do what you want, you'd need to enter the BIOS and change the boot device every time you wanted to boot from the external hard drive.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There may be a key press that gives a boot device menu, when you first switch the laptop on it will probably show which key this at the bottom of the screen.

exceller

OK,

I found a spare SATA 60G drive and started to install, and download a 100+ updates. Then downloaded 8.1 and started to install.

But all this has taken some 6hrs and still not complteted. The win8.1 installation appeared to stall @ 82% completed, staying on this for in-excess of 30mins but the drive led is still flashing as active.

How long would you expect a 100 updates and then download and install win8.1 to take to complete.

I did wonder whether the spare drive is too slow compared to the original taken out. It does seem slow downloading and general installing with the spare drive for whatever reason.

thanks

TerryNet

Terry
How long would you expect a 100 updates and then download and install win8.1 to take to complete.
With pretty good internet access and fairly fast computer and hard drive, several hours.

With not so good internet access, computer or hard drive, many hours.

Sorry, can't get any more specific than this. As I recall the installation of the 8.1 upgrade is particularly aggravating as it stays on x% "forever" for a step and then suddenly moves to the next step.

exceller

Thanks,

As I aborted the installation after waiting so long, then when rebooted after shut down it re-installed my original DVD version.

So later today I did all the updates as I wanted, then tried the free download again for 8.1

This time, when the download had completed and the installation started again. When it got to the same stage @82% of its installation again and again hanging around waiting and waiting. This time I went down the pub and left it to it. After returning some hours, all was sorted.

So all in all, you need time on your hands.

thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online