1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual boot Snow Leopard on Mavericks iMac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by PE_Mac, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

I have a 1TB iMac with 8GB RAM running Mavericks, fully updated. My plan is to update Mavericks with Yosemite and have it dual boot with Snow Leopard.

I've partitioned the HD with a 795.24GB for my main drive to run Yosemite and 204.49GB for Snow Leopard.

I have the original DVD that came with my Mac with the Snow Leopard installation files on it.

I need to know how to install the Snow Leopard files to the smaller drive as I don't want to overwrite my main drive by mistake. I do have everything on an external drive with Time Machine and a bootable USB, so if I really mess up, I should be able to restore everything, but hope to avoid this.

I want the Snow Leopard drive to run iMovie 9.0.2 which worked perfectly with Snow Leopard but not so smoothly with Mavericks and I've read not at all with Yosemite. I don't like the newer 10.0.5 version so....

Thank you for any help
    Peg:confused:

2. Headrush

Headrush

When you boot from the Snow Leopard DVD and you are in the installer, there should be a customize button to choose the install locations. (the second partition in your case)

I'm fairly certain SL didn't have the recovery partition functionality yet, so you don't have to worry about the hidden recovery partition that should be on your hard drive also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice