Solved: DUal booting WIndows Vista and Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tech.jk

hey all,
i just had some problems...obviously... anyhoo, i tried to make another partition to install Windows XP on, but after installing, i don't get the option to boot into vista...which is quite worrying...i also have some "ubuntu remains" but cannot boot into the Linux OS because i deleted the files thinking that that would get rid of it. but then i have to repair my vista installation using the cd from a friends computer. (Windows Startup Repair after booting from CD)
ideas anyone?
:>

tech.jk

no it's not. if you looked, or "listened" carefully, you would have realised that i have just said that i CAN'T boot WIndows Vista. i have to do a repair installation, and even when i checked that, WIndows XP Home Edition DID NOT SHOW UP

techkid

David
There is no reason to get uppity. That doesn't help your cause at all.

Right, are you able to log in to any OS at all? If you can, are you able to see other drives (eg if you can log in to XP, can you see the partition that Vista is installed on)?

If you can, make a backup of anything important to you (photos, documents, music, whatever). You more than likely have to wipe your hard drive COMPLETELY (partitions and all) to get yourself to a proper working system again.

A good program I like to use is Darik's Boot and Nuke (aka DBAN (downloadable from http://www.dban.org/)). It will completely remove all data and all partitions completely, and then you can rebuild your system from there.

tech.jk

*sigh* you do realise that:
A) this thread has been marked solved
and
B) i have already said that i have reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate...

techkid

David
To stop this becoming a flame war:

A) No, I didn't realise that, since I don't really venture into the Windows Vista forums (where the other thread was marked solved); and

B) see point A above

tech.jk

okay then. i marked it solved...done, the end, kaput, no more

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online