Solved: Dual Booting WinME and XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackjak

Hi all

I want to be able to have Win ME and XP on the same hard drive. It is already partitoned into C drive and D drive, 18.6 gig on each partition. On the D drive which is empty and not used is where I want to put XP. However there is one folder on that drive which I never put there called _Restore with one file inside called SRDISKID.DAT and the drive also has its own Recycled folder. Do I need to delete or remove both of these??????
And if any one has experience with both of these systems on the same hard drive would you say its best to keep both partitions FAT32 or make XP with NTFS????

All this just so my son can use the Ipod he had for Xmas......

Thanks

Jak....

Format D drive with NTFS (this will remove anything on the partition) and install XP there. Make sure you specify drive D or it will put it on the C partition.

jackjak

Hi CouchMaster

Yes I think so, just a little bit worrid about dumping that _Restore folder ( Why that inverted hyphen before the name) and the file that resides inside it in case its needed.

Thanks
Jak...

jackjak

The _Restore folder is where your system restore archives for that partition are kept. Each partition recognized by the WinME or WinXP operating system has a System restore folder assigned to it. It is a protected folder I believe so attempts at deleting it would be futile. Disabling system restore would remove it I believe but would also remove any restore points created residing on your "C" partition also. So bottom line would be use CouchMasters suggestion to format NTFS during WinXP install or just ignore the _Restore folder assigned to that drive. I do not think it will play any factor in WinXP performance.
If the restore points created on "C" are not required disable System Restore, reboot system, then install WinXP. This should prevent any possible unknown conflict.

Take care
Dave

jackjak

Dave

Thanks, I will do as you and CouchMaster suggest and leave the folder be and format NTFS during WinXP install. Should I disable my McAfee firwall and AVG free Edition virus software while i'm installing XP or is it OK to leave them both active????

Thanks
Jak...

Jak

You can either format the "D" as NTFS or leave it as FAT32 your choice. I have been told XP seems to run faster on a FAT32 partition but all my XP units are NTFS due to Video file size restrictions of FAT32 so I cannot first hand state this but the person who told me was my mentor.
As far as shutting down the firewall and antivirus? That would be advisable and also disconnect the internet connection while your at it until the process is complete. You will be restarting the XP install a couple of times so the AV and Firewall will want to restart as well. If this happens don't interrupt it by trying to shut it down again since you may cause an error in install.

Take Care and let us know the outcome.

Dave

jackjak

OK thanks Davey, will let you know. The only reason I asked about disconecting was, I thought I read somewhere that you must be connected to the net while installing XP. but if you say its ok then I will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks

jak..

jackjak

Well still have not sorted this out, been as sick as a dog with flu. Never mind better now. For some reason every time I put the WinXP Pro cd in the drive and and I get to the part where it says put in your key ( The 25 No & Letter code) It tells me after I have done it that the Number is wrong !!!! Yet the Number is not wrong, can you shed any light on this prob....

Thanks

Jak...

jackjak

Never found out what CD Key number prob was but it works now, and XP seems to be working fine. Now I have to get all the security updates.

Thanks to those who helped me...

jak...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online