1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual HDD Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashika, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Bear with me here :cool:
    I'll start with what I did, move into what I want, and end with what stops me from getting there (y)

What I did:
    Tried to install Win XP Home Edition w/ SP2 on a new HDD. I've not one, but 3 product keys for said OS and none worked...so went to local comp shop and they burned me a new XP CD. This worked, installation and partitioning a success (C:\ = 20GB for OS and related, D:\ = 180GB for everything else). Going nice 'n easy right? Well of course not, I'm not here to brag, I'm here for help! So I unhooked the new drive and re-connected the old drive (yes, I know I can connect both but that old HD has given me so much grief that I'm surprised I don't have grey hairs at 22 y/o! So I did not want any contact between the two). Here's where the problem arises. Of course, the old drive no longer works. Why? I've no idea. Worked perfectly fine before, doesn't work now. I thought I may have damaged the cables so I reconnected to the new HDD...works! So I tried using my Windows XP Home Edition Recovery CD...SP1 (crossed fingers). And it worked...ahh, sort of. I got all the way to the login screen, logged in and...nothing! Just my pretty background. So fine, I'll bite the bullet and hook up both HDDs. My first attempt probably wasn't the most intelligent in retrospect. While logged in on the new HDD I plugged in the old HDD. My comp promptly restarted itself...well, tried to but the "start" portion of the "restart" wasn't quite there. The old drive was running as the primary. So I figured this would be an easy fix. I'll set the new one as primary in BIOS. Done. Save & Exit BIOS and voila, the old HDD is...once again the Primary :confused: Still with me? I know this is getting long. Sorry. So moving along.

What I want:
    I want to make the new HDD the Primary drive and the old the Slave. I've got too much stuff on that old drive to give up and start anew. I need to get to that data :mad: Once I have everything I need, I will ever-so-gleefully format that bloody POS HDD!!! From there on in I would like to run both HDDs provided the old is not irreparably damaged. It would be used solely for storage...probably for music (already has +30GB of music).

What stops me:
    I don't know how to stop my computer from overruling my efforts to make the new HDD the primary. I cannot login on the old HDD. No matter what I do the old HDD is always the Primary and always fails to start (read: I get no further than the, "BOOT ERROR INSERT SYSTEM DISK" or w/e message).

Not sure what info is required to help me here, but I'll throw some stats for fun.
    New HDD = Maxtor 200GB in Two partitions: C = 20GB, D = 180GB
    Old HDD = Not Sure, 80GB, Single partition.
    OS = WinXP Home version 5.1.2600 SP2
    Boot Device (new HDD of course) = \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Comp = AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2.16 GHz, 512MB RAM

Lastly, you can check my last system restore point on the old HDD by viewing the last posted HJT post of mine in this thread;
    http://forums.techguy.org/security/453201-solved-persistent-spyware-virus.html

Oh, and one last thing...I can't find the CD for my speakers and the new HDD doesn't recognize them. The speakers are Creative I-Trigue L3500. I checked their site but no drivers were available. So I'm doubly SOL on listening to my music. :(

2. gurutech

gurutech

You generally don't need drivers for speakers. You may need them for your sound card.

In order to make your drive's work the way you want them to, you will need to change the jumper settings on the drives. Depending on the manufacturer of the old drive, to make it a slave, you need to change the jumper to a SL setting (other options are MA=Master or CS=Cable Select). CS will determine Master/Slave settings based on the position on the cable the drive is located. On the end of the cable, it will be Master, on the middle connector it will be Slave.

Your Maxtor drive (new one) should already be set for a Master/Single setting.

3. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Yeah, I had the cables properly connected for master/slave. I changed the jumper settings to make the old drive the slave and that worked. Well, the info on startup shows the Maxtor as Primary Master and the old as Primary Slave...but I still get the BOOK DISK ERROR INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER message. I thought setting the old drive as Slave would solve this problem, but clearly it does not.

So now what can I do to get this old drive to work (with or without the new drive operating simultaneously)?

As for the speakers...let's just focus on fixing the old drive I guess ;)

4. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

...still can't access the old drive. Please help.

5. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Problem still persists.

6. bbearren

bbearren

Your "hot swap" may have done some damage, but you can try this:

You can power down and connect the old drive to the secondary IDE cable as master, set your BIOS to boot from that drive, boot up and then copy boot.ini, NTDDETECT.COM, and ntldr from the root of the old drive to the root of the new drive.

Reboot, go into BIOS and set it to boot from the new drive, and it should boot.

Once you get the new drive to boot, power down and then you can put your old drive back as the primary slave, and you should be able to access it.

7. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Ok, I've a couple clarification questions. First, the secondary IDE cable...this would be the cable that on startup lists as Secondary Master and, in my case, is my CD drive, correct? So I'm to disconnect from the CD drive, connect to the old drive while leaving the new drive connected as Primary Master and leave my BOIS settings to boot from CD first (which is now the old drive)?

Secondly, where do I find the boot.ini, NTDDETECT.COM, and ntldr files? I just ran a search of the new drive to see if I could find where they are located on the new drive but all I found were the boot.ini.backup in the C:\WINDOWS\pss folder. I've the feeling that I'm going to need a bit of a walkthrough here. Thanks :)

8. bbearren

bbearren

Correct. Set the jumper on the old drive for Master, and connect it to the end of the secondary IDE cable. When you reboot, the BIOS won't show a CD drive, it will show the old hard drive as secondary master. Set your BIOS boot priority to boot from that drive, and then save your settings and exit BIOS. The computer will boot to your old drive.

The fact that you can't find those files on the new hard drive is the reason your computer won't boot from the new hard drive. That's why you need to copy them from the old drive to the new drive.

Those files are on the root of the old drive (that is, they are not in a separate folder). After you have booted to the old drive, open windows explorer and left-click on the C: drive in the left explorer pane. In the right pane, you will see the files we're talking about listed beneath all the folders in the C: drive. Right-click on one of the files, select Copy, then put your mouse pointer on the new drive (which will be D: drive) in the left explorer pane, right-click and select Paste.

Copy NTDETECT.COM, boot.ini, and ntldr to the new drive in that fashion. Reboot, enter BIOS again, and set the boot priority to boot from the new drive. Save your settings and exit BIOS. The computer should boot to the new drive.

Once you have the computer booting to the new drive, you can power down and reset the jumper on the old drive to slave, plug it back into the middle connector of the primary IDE cable, and plug the end of the secondary IDE cable back into you CD drive.

9. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Still got the "boot disk error" when booting from the old disk. I was, however, able to boot from the new drive and access the old drive. I couldn't find those files and I have folder settings to show hidden files. I also ran a search for said files to include hidden files and folders. I did create a boot.ini for the new drive with the following parameters:

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Seeing as I just want to copy over a couple important files, I think this should work fine for me. I'm going to play around with this a bit before marking as solved. If you (or anyone) has another method of obtaining NTDETECT.COM and ntldr, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

10. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Well, for some reason about 13GB of stuff was missing from the old drive when connected as Secondary Master and booted from the new drive. So I still need help logging onto the old drive.

11. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Problem persists, please advise.

12. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Still no go.

13. waowl

waowl

I think your main problem is that you have messed up your registry......

you can not have two registries ( one on each drive ) on the same computer....

you will not be able to rebuild those registries, the info in them is gone
    because it has been overwritten....

what you should have done is to clone your old drive to your new one,
    then wipe out the old drive, fdisk the old one, then connect the old drive
    as slave and format your slave drive using the format application
    in your master drive ( new drive )

and you would have your two hard drive installed.

14. bbearren

bbearren

Not true. I have two separate installations of XP on two different hard drives in my desktop, and I can boot either one with no difficulties whatsoever.

The drive that is not booting needs ntldr, boot.ini, and NTDETECT.COM on the root of the drive.

You must have Explorer set to show all files and not hide file extensions to be able to see the files, even in a search. Having a search look in hidden files and folders won't SHOW hidden files and folders unless you have enabled Explorer to show them.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!