1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual Monitors Setup Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lanesant, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lanesant

Lanesant Thread Starter

A friend of mine has a BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard which can be found on Newegg at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813138345

He is currently using a DVI monitor. Since his motherboard has an available HDMI slot then it was my suggestion that he get a cable and connect it to his HDTV that way he could watch for example the history channel online through his computer to his HDTV.

When I connect the cable from the computer to the TV then the DVI monitor shows NO SIGNAL The TV will show the desktop but has no sound when running anything. I couldn't find a way to have both the monitor and the TV running at the same time. He is using a Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet CL3 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel Full HD

The DVI Monitor is an Acer X203H bd 20-Inch LCD Monitor. He is running Windows 7 64 Bit.

Does anyone have any advice? Could it be that he need both an HD Monitor & HDTV for this to work using a splitter to send the signal both ways? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. replay

replay

from the manual

The HDMI and DVI-D ports both can provide digital video signals out-put function, but
    these two interfaces cannot work at the same time. The chipset uses the same channel
    to control HDMI and DVI-D, so these ports cannot transmit video signal to different display
    panels simultaneously

3. Lanesant

Lanesant Thread Starter

What if I used an HDMI Splitter and purchased an HD Monitor would that work?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An HDMI splitter will give you the exact same thing on both screens at the same resolution and you'll need quality HDMI splitter devices, which are not just a cable, and are not cheap.

Both the monitor and motherboard have VGA/D-Sub connections, use that for one monitor or TV. Most people will not see a difference between HDMI and VGA on a modern system with standard equipment. Also some TV's will recommend using a VGA cable for a PC hook up not the HDMI port if they are equipped with a VGA input.

To get the sound through the HDMI port you need to go into the Control Panel and then to "Sounds" and change the default playback device from the analog sound card to the HDMI device.

5. Lanesant

Lanesant Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's help. Went ahead and bought a HDMI monitor and HDMI Splitter Amplifier 1 In to 2 Out Dual Display. This will solve my issues.

Sure do appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again folks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice