1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reticentAJ, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reticentAJ

reticentAJ Thread Starter

First Name:
    AJ
    How do you know if your graphics card will support it? I have a laptop and just want to hook it up to two monitors. I have heard that some video cards will expand the desktop, making it look really bad, instead of just sticking the desktop on one screen. How do you know whether or not your graphics card will do that?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Lenovo X230 has a VGA and DisplayPort you can use for an external monitors.

I've never heard of a computer that only allowed the display to be expanded across the monitors, generally this is just a setting the user much choose; you can duplicate/clone the displays or make one the second monitor an extension of the first one - but it doesn't stretch a single image across both monitors.

3. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm assuming the DisplayPort would be better to go with over the VGA? I know there are vga to dvi connections (not sure what connections with be on the monitor as I have not chosen them), but I'm not sure if there are displayport to dvi, as I have never really used displayport. I know its pretty similiarish to hdmi.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's only converters to go from DVI-I(which has both digital and analog) to VGA , not from VGA to any DVI.

DisplayPort is digital, can carry audio, and is the newest interface with some newer features so it's the better interface to use if possible. But if you are going to convert it to something else then you may lose some of the benefits. You can convert DisplayPort to anything; DVI, VGA, HDMI if needed.

I thought you said you wanted to hook up two monitors? Did you just want to add one monitor and use the internal LCD as the second monitor?

5. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Don't they have splitters to take one connection and output it to two? So for example, say I was using the displayport on my laptop. On the two monitors, they have display port as well to make it easier. Aren't there cables so I have one end connected into my computer and then the other end of that has two display port connections? So that it splits the video between the two monitors? If that made any sense.

6. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Be sure to read the note and comments below the article. This may not be what you are looking for. I guess you should explain more in your final goal. Do you want to use this with the internal LCD, so to have three screens total? Or do you want to use ONLY the two external screens? And what you want to see on each screen?

8. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I do not want to use the internal LCD. My laptop will be closed, so I will only be using two external screens. Um, it really doesn't matter what I see on each screen. I'm used to seeing one screen having the desktop and the other screen not having the desktop. If they both displayed a full desktop, that would be fine. I do not want an extended desktop split between the two monitors, though.

It is kind of hard to find a displayport splitter (if you understand what I mean by that; one displayport that goes into my computer and the is split between two displayports going out to the external monitors). They seem to be like $60 or $70. I don't do gaming, so I'm guessing a vga with two dvi would be fine. Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200334.
    Then, I'll just have to make sure the dvi are dvi-a or dvi-i.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are going to only use two monitors why are you looking at a splitter? Connect one monitor to the DisplayPort and the other monitor to the VGA port and you're done.

That adapter cable you linked to takes one DVI-I port and splits it into a VGA port and to a DVI-D port, you don't even have a DVI-I port on the laptop.

10. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    The vga is on the laptop. The two dvi ports would be on the monitors, thus eliminating the need to plug and unplug 2 cables from the laptop all the time.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, thats not how it works. The ports on the monitor are strictly input, not a splitter that you can run a second monitor off the first. One monitor should be connected to the VGA port with a VGA cable, the other monitor to the DisplayPort with a DisplayPortor a DisplayPort to DBI or HDMI adapter) cable on the laptop.

12. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes, I realize that the ports on the external monitor are inputs and the ports on the laptop are outputs. What I am saying is that the video signal will go out the vga port. Nothing wrong with that. Connected to the vga port on my laptop is a cable. On one end of the cable is a vga connection that is plugged into the laptop. On the other end of the vga cable are two dvi-i connections. Both of these go to the external monitors. Does that make sense?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Won't work, VGA is analog, DVI-D is digital only, thats not what that cable is for that you linked and it would give you the exact same thing on both screens with a VGA type splitter. The proper solution is two cables, one VGA, one DisplayPort.

14. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I said DVI-I, not DVI-D, so that would work since DVI-I can be analog or digital.

It seems kind of limiting and dumb to have to have at least the same number of ports on your computer as you do monitors. So for example, if I wanted 5 monitors. I would have to have at least 5 different ports on my computer for that to work?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's correct with the exception of some DisplayPort which can support port multipliers or daisy chaining but both the graphics and first monitor must be version 1.2 to support that. So that's why the multiple ports are there.

Up until recently the most independent displays you could use from a single graphics card was two(using two ports), it's only been recently that it's been increased beyond two but Display Port has to be used to support any monitor above the second monitor.

The output is only analog from the VGA port, so the cable you linked to with one DVI-D end won't do you any good and that cable is designed to take a DVI-I input which you don't have on your laptop aynways. And any other cable like that will give you the exact same display on both screens, an exact clone not two independently configurable screens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice