1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual screen - PC to Samsung TV Via HDMI stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tony1985, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony1985

tony1985 Thread Starter

Dear All,

For the previous two years I have been running my Samsung TV as a monitor extension via a HDMI cable.

I have recently moved house and rewired my set up and now the computer is not outputting the signal to the TV.

Diagnosis so far:
    Tried a different TV - no luck
    Tried a new HDMI cord - no luck
    Updated video card drivers - no luck
    NVIDIA Control Pannel > set up multiple displays > my display is not working > rigourous display detection - no luck

Perhaps I need to check my HDMI output from the computer, maybe an internet wire came loose during moving??

Specs:
    -
    Intel Core i5 3570K

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz DIMM

Seagate Barracuda 3.5” 2TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3

Thermaltake TR2 Bronze 700W Power Supply

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid Tower Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit

Originally a Gainward GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB GDDR5, this unitburnt itself out so it has been replaced with Asus 1GB dual Cooling Fan GeForceGTX 650Ti

And the TV is a Samsung PS43D450

Please remember this exact set up has been working for two years, and has now stopped after moving house.

Can someone please help?? Thanks in advance!

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

What happens when you try to make it work?

3. tony1985

tony1985 Thread Starter

I get the message on my TV "NO SIGNAL, Check connected devices power, cable connection, and source selection"

Diagnosis update:
    I have installed my old mother board - no luck.
    Connected the computer to the TV through VGA - it works. However I need it though HDMI for audio, and also there is only 1 VGA output so I use a splitter and hence the display is only a duplication, not an extension.

4. huggie54

huggie54

have you tested all HDMI ports on the TV

5. tony1985

tony1985 Thread Starter

Yes, I have hooked the DVD player up to both HDMI inputs on the TV, and both work.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you meant internal, that would be my first suspicion.

7. tony1985

tony1985 Thread Starter

Yes my appologies I did mean to say internal.

As my understaning of the internal workings of a computer are limited, can you step me through or point me to a tutorial which I can read?

I understand enough to recognise the video card etc... but not sure where the wire should be coming from/going to?

Also, is it possible to test the output of the HDMI port using a test light??

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most "wires" in a computer are tiny strips of metal on a printed circuit board. Takes a lot of luck and great eyesight to even see a problem. So, chances are it's not a loose wire that you can do anything about.

But, just in case, look at the graphics card, the HDMI port, and anywhere "between" them. Maybe it'll be your lucky day. Is the card integrated? If not, it may have come just enough loose for one contact to be corroded or not making good contact, so physical removal and reinserting it could help. Be careful what you touch and remember that static electricity can ruin electronics.

I don't know any way to test the port. My HDMI trouble shooting and "fixing" when mine has stopped working is to wiggle the cable, unplug and replug the cable, and restart the system. So far, mine has always come back to life after some or all of these.

I don't know of any tutorials. I found this Computer - Hardware one, which looks at first glance that it may be useful.

9. tony1985

tony1985 Thread Starter

Ok good news, the problem is fixed and everything back to normal.

However, I am still not sure on something.

It turns out there are two HDMI outputs (as well as two VGA, DVI etc...) one set goes directly into the mother board, and the other set goes into the video card. So my question is what is the difference between the two? And why is my display now working when it is plugged into the video card, and why did it not work when it was plugged into the mother board?

Thanks

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, Tony, I have to do a little guessing here. :) Is it not the case that when you add a video card you disable the one integrated with the motherboard? If so, that of course would also disable the associated ports.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!