1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: dual screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grimm_Oaks, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grimm_Oaks

Grimm_Oaks Thread Starter

can anyone explain to me how i set up dual screen so that i an use programs on one screen eg dreamweaver or even games, microsoft word and have webpages/emails/messenger running on the other screen?

2. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

ok first things first hook both monitors into your computer then if you are running windows vista when you plug in your second screen it should come up with a wizard to assist you it will give you options on how you want your second monitor to work it's pretty easy (the wizard)

if no wizard comes up then you'll have to do it manually by right clicking on the desktop then clicking personalize. When that menu appears you will see a set of options go to the bottom and click on "display settings". That will open up a new window, y.ou'll see a picture of two monitors, a "1" and a "2" right click on "2" and click attached . that should do it for vista.

For xp. right click on the desktop, click properties, a window should appear, there sill be tabs, click the "settings" tab, click the display list and selecd your second monitor. select the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" option and click apply.

Everything should be working fine but if not don't hesitate to let me know.

have a good day!

3. Grimm_Oaks

i got it to display on both screens but when I try run dreamweaver/msn and open a web page to check e-mails or websites everything is only coming up on the one monitor.

im using a laptop if that makes a differance graph card is a geforce go7300

and i love the name :)

4. Grimm_Oaks

never mind that i think i have it going, now the only problem is im trying it out with a few things games, software ect. Works ok with dreamweaver, msn goes a bit wonky and if I use a game and have a web page/msn running the game minimizes. Is this normal?

*EDIT*
    Nope if i minimize msn or webpages they go back to my laptop monitor, is there actualy a way where i can run progs and have msn and web pages on the other screen?

5. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

As far as i know there is no way to make a program launch in the second screen, however i do know that after you launch certain programs and drag them to the other monitor they will then open on that monitor. as far as games go you will have to run them in windowed mode to be able to use the second monitor for your web pages.
    here are some links i dugg up....

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1020940.html

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp
    that one has a LOT of info

http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcomputing/the-dual-monitor-experiment-2004066/
    that one is pretty cool as well

hope this helps out let me know if it don't i'm off to try it out on my dual monitor setup

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice