1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dual Video Cards ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noyb, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

My computer has a factory installed Radeon X300 PCI express video card.
    I’ve added a NVIDIA PCI video card so that I can run a second Monitor, thru a KVM switch - which works fine.

My Problem is the new Video card for my second (optional) monitor shows up as Monitor # 1 … and the original card is assigned #2
    The problem here is that the Second (optional) monitor (#1) now seems to be the default monitor when booting into Safe mode (as one example).

How do I reverse the Video card (numerical ?) assignments so that the original Video card is the default primary monitor (#1) ?

Attached Files:

2. Rukee

Rukee Banned

highlight the moniter you want then check the box that says use this device as the primary moniter.
    A KVM switch is for two diffrent computers to toggle from one box to another while using only 1 moniter, mouse and keyboard, not for 1 computer with two moniters.

3. Noyb

Notice that monitor #2 IS set as the primary device .. since monitor # 1 is not the primary device
    Monitor #1 ... is KVM switchable to a second (or more) computer ... 4way KVM

The problem is that monitor #1 is the Primary when booting up or in safe mode ... etc ...
    but it may not be attached ???

I would like to reverse the #1 and #2 assigments so that my 19" monitor is the default primary when booting or in Safe mode.

4. Rukee

Rukee Banned

I`ve never run more then one moniter so, I`m not sure.
    But I have run several KVM switchs, and they are for more then 1 computer to use the same moniter, mouse and keyboard. I have a 2 box KVM switch and a 4 box KVM switch, I`ve found they really kill the video quality specially with games. The pic is much more clear with no KVM switch, so if your a gamer, you`ll want to ditch the KVM, unless it`s one that does look good....1 KVM switch I hit 'Scroll lock' twice to change puters, the other one I hit 'cnt+alt+shift+# of machine, 1-4' and it switchs between them.

5. Noyb

I'm not a gamer and I can not notice any difference in the video quality thru the KVM.
    Yes - I use the KVM to run two other Computers - or to connect my second monitor as a dual (span mode) to my main Computer ... who has its own dedicated monitor.
    It's this dedicated monitor that I want to #1.

6. Rukee

Rukee Banned

why not connect one moniter to the ATI card and one to the NVidia card and not use the KVM switch, the KVM is to used between two stand alone computer towers, not two moniters. i`m confused as to how you have it hooked up.

7. Noyb

I could switch the monitor connections to my main puter ... but I'm assuming the original PCI express card/slot is the best.

I can't swap the vid cards - one is a PCI - the other is a PCI express.
    I want the PCI express vid card to be #1 running its dedicated monitor.

8. Noyb

Well Duuhhh....
    The choice of the Primary Video device, which will be #1 ...
    which can be in either the PCI or PCI express slot, is selectable in the BIOS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice