1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dualbooting is a pain

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by darthrevan945, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darthrevan945

darthrevan945 Thread Starter

Hi all,

so I noticed that windows 8 boots up before the list of OS choices. Is there anyway that I can stop it from doing that? In all previous versions of windows the list is before the OS actually boots. I don't like having to wait for it to boot, and then rebooting to get to the other OS. Is there anyway to change this?
    Thanks in advanced

2. dai

dai

i found every time i boot 8 i lose access to 7

to get the boot options back i have to put 7 drive as first boot to get it back

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  4. dai

dai

thanks for the link will try it next time i boot into 8

5. bbearren

bbearren

I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8, and I have fast boot turned off in Windows 8. But I'm using the Windows 7 loader rather than Windows 8. My boot menu lists Windows 7 as the default, and gives me the option of booting into Windows 8.

I used EasyBCD 2.2 to accomplish this, but I'm afraid I can't remember well enough to give you a step-by-step.

6. darthrevan945

Thank you, I will give these a try and post back with the results.

7. darthrevan945

This didn't do it.. Let me explain it a little better. So I am running a tripleboot, of OS X, Windows 2003, and Windows 8. I am on a mac, so it shows me the option for either OS X, or Windows. I click on the windows one. Now back with windows 7, when I would choose to boot windows, I would get the windows 7 bootloader with a choice of windows 7, or windows 2003. Now in the upgrade to windows 8, I choose windows from my macs bootloader just as I used to, but instead of getting a choice between windows 2003 and windows 8, it just starts to boot windows 8. Then AFTER windows 8 is done booting, I get a choice between Windows 8, and windows 2003, It is a blue screen with a mouse, and i am able to pick which one. If I choose windows 8, it automatically goes to the windows 8 lock screen. If I choose windows 2003, it reboots, I choose windows again from my macs boot loader, then it boots to windows 2003. So that is what I hate. I want to be able to choose between windows 8, and windows 2003 BEFORE windows 8 boots, not after. This way I wouldnt have to wait for windows 8 to boot, and I wouldnt have to reboot the computer to get to windows 2003.

EDIT: I cannot use windows 2003's boot loader like you did for windows 7, windows 2003 uses the same boot loader as XP, so it is not able to boot windows 8, at least as far as I know.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That does not make sense to me. After Windows 8 boots it should be showing the Start screen (or the desktop if you used any of the methods to bypass the Modern UI). It sounds like you are describing the Windows 8 style boot menu (before any OS has booted).

I also don't understand why you still get that after turning fast boot off, but maybe it's because of the difference in boot menu for Windows 7 and Windows 2003 [Server].

9. darthrevan945

10. bbearren

bbearren

Actually, that is the normal behavior of the Windows 8 boot loader handling a dual boot, with the additional step of the Mac loader in between. That's the way it worked with me in my dual boot with Windows 7.

That is the reason I use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of the Windows 8 loader - I get the Windows pre-boot options menu with Windows 7 as default with the countdown timer, and Windows 8 and my other boot options available. If I select Windows 8, it continues the boot process and launches Windows 8. And as you say, the Server 2003 loader won't load Windows 8, so that won't work for you.

11. darthrevan945

That's what I was afraid of lol. I don't suppose there is anyway around it? Aside from going back to 7.

12. bbearren

bbearren

I posted a link to a video in another thread to show what I'm talking about.

13. darthrevan945

I see what you mean. But being as I have windows 2003 instead of seven, do you know of anyway I can use a boot loader other than eight's? grub maybe?

14. bbearren

bbearren

Having a Mac in the mix puts me a bit out of my element, for sure. However, the BCD Store for Windows 7 can be edited to indicate a default OS that will load without further intervention, just allowing the timer to count down to zero.

That being said, I haven't used the Windows 8 BCD Store much, having a preference for the way that Windows 7 BCD presents itself during boot. You could see if EasyBCD will let you set up the Windows 8 BCD to load Server 2003 as the default. I don't have a Windows 8 BCD Store to play with at the moment, or I'd look into it for you.

And yes, Grub is a possible alternative, I would think.

15. saikee

saikee

I have exactly the same problem but have not investigated it before. Initially I thought it was to do with the mobo as mine has a tendency to reboot if there is a small change to the Bios setting.

My problem is much severe as I use Win8 to boot all 5 Windows (Xp, Win2k, Vista, Win7 and Win8) plus at lease one Linux. My boot loader is organised by Grub which also boot at least another 30 Linux in the same box and booting Windows is one of the choices. There is no problem with any Linux but every Windows has to go through Win8. This arrangement is governed mainly by the Windows installaers but I did play a small part.

Typically I choose one partition that has all the Windows boot loaders to boot Win8. Then I have the 5 choices of Windows and one Linux arranged by EasyBCD. Only Win8 or Linux can be booted directly when chosen. In selecting Win7 for example the computer will first reboot then go back to the Grub screen. I then have to select Windows again and Win7 one more time before Win7 is fired up.

There is one complication in my system in which I deliberately created a Dos (formatted in fat16) primary partition to test the MS bootloaders and formatted the rest as logical partitions. This forced every MS Windows residing in a logical partition which many believe impossible. I was getting directly booting (without the need of a reboot) until I installed Win8 on it. I also know none of my 5 Windows partitions have a boot loader inside as they all went to my primary Dos partition. Hidden files in Windows are visual and editable in Linux.

Strangely I did not experience the necessity of a reboot with multi Windows booting in another computer in which I installed Win8 first. I then hide this partition by changing its ID from 7 to 17 (standard trick for dual booting back in Dos days). When installing Win7 its installer did not recignise the hidden partition and thought it was foreign so I have Win8 and Win7 boot loaders intact ineach partition. I then installed two Linux and use Grub to boot all of them. Grub is now able to fire up Win7 or Win8 directly without a reboot. This is only possible because I have arranged to keep the boot loader intact in each MS Windows.

When a user is dual booting Win2k and a Win8 there are two boot loaders involved. Win8 (or Win7 or Vista) does bot boot Win2k it simply loads the Win2k's boot loader NTLDR into the memory and hands over the control. It is then left to NTLDR to fire up the Win2k. Since NTLDR also boot Xp and so the Vista/Win7/Win8 bootloader bootmgr calls it "Older versions of Windows".

Win8 seems to be unable to hand over the control to Win2k boot loader for the OP case and unable to handover the control for my Win7, Vista, Xp and Win2k without rebooting the PC if its boot loader is allowed to control them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice