1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dude! I don't get my Dell! No devices in device manager?! USB and sound don't work?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Frankencow, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frankencow

Frankencow Thread Starter

Ok so I had to reinstall windows XP because my OS would not load and I got all the drivers reinstalled, diagnostic ran smooth and everything came up working ok etc but my device manager won't recognize anything! The compy says my audio mixers are not there, my USB devices are not working, hardware wizard is not responding, microsoft updates are not working, Dell's driver downloads are calling out for something that isn't there and I really really need this fixed ASAP so I can get to my external HD. So I tried putting an apple sticker on my Dell in hopes it would accept its new identity and start not sucking, but alas this did not work. If you help me fix this I'll seriously be your new best friend... I have apple stickers. ;-)

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

reinstall from a restore cd or something else?

3. Frankencow

AGAIN?! *sigh* Ok....

4. Huon

Huon

Erm, I think that was a question... :)

5. Frankencow

Oh ok... So maybe not?

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Welcome to TSG! :)

Sounds like Plug and Play somehow got disabled. An empty device manager and a loss of USB functionality would certainly point to it.

Follow the steps in this article to make sure Plug and Play is enabled:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

7. MTDrew

MTDrew

dell has an easy support system
    http://www.dell.com/support
    enter your machine service tag, usually represented by a 6 digit string of letters and numbers
    enter that into dells website, it will tell you what hardware came with your dell and give you access to the respective drivers ...
    g/l

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

bye, good luck.

9. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I'd try the Plug and Play thing first because that might do the trick.

I have a Dell too but unfortunately I am from Canada. Their online service tag deal only helps Americans. So if I have a problem with my Dell, I have to spend hours on the phone with somebody even though it would just be easier to do it online because all the details are written out and everything. I hope Dell implements the service tag deal for Canadian customers soon...

10. Frankencow

Awww.... That sucks. Totally . Thanks for the help! I think that was my problem. ^_^;;; If you ever need anything from the States you just lemme know

[email protected]

11. MTDrew

MTDrew

bolton .. im in etobicoke .. dont worry
    im a certified dell tech
    ohh and dell.ca/support
    we actually get better support imo .. :)
    in my opinion if you just formatted your machine anyway, mayaswell redo it with the dell CD
    you have that by any chance, or do you have an image on your hard drive, browse to your my computer and see if you have an X drive

ignore me .. im getting mixed up with who needs help here .. im going to bed

12. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Etobicoke? Cool. That's where my grandmother lives. Dixon/Islington area. You're going to bed at 8pm? lol... :)

I've been quite happy with Dell's support though. Even though my computer COMPLETELY crashed (registry messed up) less than 6 months after getting it, things haven't been too bad since then. I did have an issue with my 9800XT video card dying, so Dell sent out a technician and replaced the video card free of charge since I was under warranty. I was quite impressed because I called during the holidays (around New Year's) earlier this year and I got my part a couple days later.

Then my CD-RW drive decided to die too, so they sent out the same technician (Cliff is his name, I think) and he replaced the drive too. Overall I'm impressed with their support. It would be a little helpful though if they allowed Canadians to do the online chat with support people and have their service tickets used online for support. Otherwise I'm happy.

So Frankencow, did the Plug and Play suggestion fix the problem? Is everything working again?

If so, you can mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page. (y)

13. Frankencow

Yes, it was all plug and play. =P Sorry Dell dude.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice