1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dumb question, but a question none-the-less

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mikhal, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

is there any way to either make a partition to an already formatted drive (without losing any info). or is there a good way to back up large files using DVD's without somehow corrupting the files?

last time i tried putting music/video/game files on dvd's they somehow became corrupted.

2. gurutech

gurutech

You can try Partition Magic, which will allow you to resize your existing partition.

3. dbailey18

dbailey18

4. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

You just have to make sure that you are burning at the right speed. If you are going to back up, just back up the Documents and Settings folder, it should be all you need.

Yes, if you are looking to resize a partition to make room for a new one, then Partition Magic works.

5. HorrorcoreHate

HorrorcoreHate

i had bad luck with partition magic :'(

6. mikhal

mikhal Thread Starter

i don't have an existing partition though... just one 160gb drive.

7. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

A physical hard drive in your computer is virtually partitioned. So your "C: drive" in Windows is really a partition, not a physical drive, although the physical drive is probably only one partition. (Basically, you must have an existing partition, otherwise you wouldn't be talking to me right now!)

You can check by right-clicking on My Computer and going to Manage (In XP). Go to Disk Management under Storage. There you can see how your hard drives are partitioned up. If your whole drive is taken up, then you are going to have some trouble getting Vista to install - resizing partitions is a very risky proccess.

But if you have extra space or another partition that is over 15 GB, then you could install Vista fairly easily. If there is an existing spare partition that is more than 15 GB, then you can just boot to the DVD and tell Vista to install to that one (but first make sure there is nothing on it so that you don't lose anything). If there is empty space but not a new partition, then you are going to have to create a new one.

8. matt_aj

matt_aj

I believe when I installed Vista, you can create and resize partitions.... So you should be able to split your current "C:" partition into 2 and install on the other.

9. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Yes, Vista has the capibility to resize partitions now. (I'm not sure if it actually works, though. :p) But that wouldn't help him because he needs to resize the partition before he installs Vista. :(

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's about time...

11. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Yeah, I sort of want to try it, but I don't want to lose any data if it doesn't work. :eek:

I think maybe I'll just copy a bunch a files onto an empty partition I have now, and then resize that and see if everything is OK. :)
    And here is what it looks like for anyone who is wondering:

[​IMG]

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd have full backups before I started using that capbility! :D It used to be that you could only change the size of dynamic volumes, are you sure that's not the capability you're looking at now? Truthfully, I haven't tried it.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I just looked, and for some reason Vista will let me try to extend a volume with no space available, but it won't allow me to try to shrink the volume.

IMO, I'd look at the Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic for this task! ;)

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That must be why Symantec is suing them. They used their code to do it.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    nothing new there then ... :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice