1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Dumb Scanner Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tipacanoe, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

My wife got me a scanner a couple years ago which I installed on my old PC. Daughter went off to college with old PC. I never got around to installing scanner on new PC. Now other daughter has our grands and we want to scan some photos. But I can't find installation disc for scanner.

E-mailed manufacturer requesting replacement disc. They reply that I should d/l most up-to-date driver and give web site address for this.

Does this make sense? Is that all I need to install to get a menu etc? Here are the particulars:

Make - Acer Prisa 310P
    Model 6687 - 00A
    Mfg March 1998
    Issue AAA

Thanks.
    :confused:

2. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Most vendors supply will supply drivers to their products on their websites. I have often relied on this method to ensure I get the most current drivers for what I need.....

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

After enlisting my wife to help me find some of the missing parts and taking all of your help - many thanks people - into account, I finally got the ol' scanner working this morning.

TaDa - i scanned 3 photos of our new granddaughter.

Yikes, no one that I sent them to seems to be able to open the files and neither can I in anything than Imaging.

I don't think I had this problem before.

As you may recall, I lost the CD with the program for the scanner so, as suggested, I d/l the driver. It suggests I use Imaging in the Accessories menu of Programs to scan and that's what I have done. I have just scanned with default settings and saved in each of two of the three save options available. The 3 are Tif, Bitmap and Fax. I have saved in Tif and Bitmap. Neither of these open with Corel photo house or Wordperfect.

Altho' jpeg seems to be an option under compression, it is grayed out and I am unable to select it.

Can someone advise whether it is possible to save as jpeg or gif and, if so, how to do this?

Thanks.

:confused:

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try saving them as a .bmp instead, then open paint, and save as a jpg.....long way, but it works :)

6. slipe

slipe

Download Irfanview: www.irfanview.com

Acquire your images through Irfanview and you can save them as jpg, which is the format you would normally use for e-mail due to its compressed size.

Don’t scan images you want to e-mail at over 100 DPI.

7. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Thanks people.

I figured out that I can acquire images in a bunch of software, ie wordprocessor as well as say corel photohouse.

However, I d/l Irfanview and find it works best for me.

:cool:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice