1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Duplicate file removing guidelines?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BIGALX58, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Are there any guidelines available for removing duplicate files? What do I look for that will help me decide which file to keep and which file to delete? Can anyone suggest a 'safe' process? I'm starting to build up a lot of these duplicates and they must take up space, I guess. Thanks.

2. stantley

stantley

Can you give some example filenames, are these files you're creating yourself.

Windows has a lot of duplicate files, don't delete any of those.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Only remove dupes from your personal files. Almost all dupes found elsewhere are needed. You can use symbolic links to repalce a file, if you know how, and that would mean that only one copy was needed.

Generally, by the time this is under consideration, it means that you really need a larger drive.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How are you building up the collection of duplicate files?

5. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Most of the duplicates are in C:\ Documents and Settings, with some in C:\ Program Files and C:\Windows. I can see that I have a duplicate of, for example,'Apr1, 2005 backup' repeated many times. I used EasyCleaner to find these files and I notice that they are sent to the recycle bin first before being deleted. I don't know how these duplicates were created, I certainly didn't do it on purpose. Is it really worth removing the duplicates? It appears to me from what has been said that I could do more harm than good by removing the duplicates.

6. stantley

stantley

Yes, that's true. The only reason I could see to remove duplicates is if you're extremely low on disk space.

You might want to find which program is creating the "Apr1, 2005 backup" files, and see why it's doing that. You probably don't need a 5 year old file, but I would check to see what's in it first.

Are there any other filenames that you're concerned with?

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Leave the ones on C:\ Program Files and C:\Windows alone.
    If you open My Documents, do you see the duplicates listed?
    I am not aware of this "EasyCleaner" as it may be seeing things that are not really there.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also, in Vista and 7, symbolic links may appear to be duplicate files and folders but are actually a single object. Removing one removes all. For example, in Vista, if you go to Run anfd type:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>
    or
    C:\Users\<your username>

you'll see that the same folder opens.

Get a nice big drive if you need the space so you don't cause yourself problems and have plenty of space.

9. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I don't have any concerns about any specific files. I was just surprised to see so many files that were duplicated and wondered if I needed them. When I open My Documents, I don't see duplicates. There is only one document of each kind listed. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You may be seeing the links that "Recents" uses.

11. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I'm sorry, but what are 'Recents'?

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  13. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

My 'List' box was not checked and I did press the"Clear" box.
    Thanks for your time and suggestions.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice