1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Duplicate Files Finder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aka Brett, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned Thread Starter

I need the easiest {or best} method of finding duplicate files..I have a few years of stuff accumulated and know I have some duplicates
    Just something simple that will perhaps let me check certain folders and subfolders would be great but if I have to check the entire drive thats fine too.

I need to clean up an external for duplicates...It has an OS on it but I have a folder I created that I copy user files to..that folder has subfolders and those folders have some sub folders.

I also have a D partition on my main drive that I also have my personal files on..I want to clean that up as well using the same method

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What kinds of files are you going to be looking for (photos, music, text files, etc.)? Does the program have to be free?

For music files, there are programs (like this one) that will compare the actual audio content of the files. They can find duplicate files that use different encoding methods and bit rates as well as slightly different playing times.

I have used a free program called Anti-Twin to find and delete duplicate photos. It can get real slow (hours) if you have it analyze the file contents and you are going through a few thousand files. The duplicate listing function shows the resolution as well as thumbnails for each set of what it thinks are duplicates and you can choose which to keep or delete. I have not tried it for other file types.

3. jbiddle8

jbiddle8

The Anti-Twin works great! Thanks for the info.

4. aka Brett

Free is always good and many times has just as good as software.
    I have music,video,text,photos as well as some installers.
    The duplicates will mainly be music and pictures, some videos as well ...the files will have the same names...some videos I have converted to a different format and need to dekete some of the older ones in the old format.
    If i can find duplicate files by name {minus the extension}...I could sort through them pretty easy.,,,but it doesnt look like that software exists

I have thousands of pictures,,,The anti twin sounds like the way to go...will just let it run during the night
    The music duplicator remover sounds very efficient for the music file.

Thankyou Chuck (y)

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

The music duplicate finder is not normally free. I did download a free version of it a while ago from a site called "Giveaway of the Day".

I think that the anti-twin program has a priority setting that lets it run in the background with minimal affect on normal usage of the computer or you can crank it up when run over night. You may want to makes sure your computer is not set to go not any power saving modes when left unattended.

6. aka Brett

After reading the anti twin page again...It states this right at the top..{dont know how I missed it}
    "Search for identical or similar file names"

That will do it...then will sort them by type to get to the jpg files etc.

I will check the giveaway site on occasion to see any interesting software I can grab for free...Great link(y)

7. aka Brett

Days later........
    Update.
    Anti twin worked great...worked fast for same file names..lots of options there in case a persons wants to compare by other methods as well.
    Gained some space...not as much as I wanted...as I was hoping to have more duplicate videos...Straightened out a small mess I created several weeks ago with other files/ and stray duplicates through the years
    Got my media partition out of the red
    A Nice addition to the toolbox.

Thankyou Chuck (y)

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

9. aka Brett

Elaborate please

10. brokenhead

brokenhead

I know this has been closed, but since I have just been looking for a freeware duplicate file finder, I found one from moleskinsoft which seems to do the trick nicely.

I used to use Duplicate File Finder v1.1.0.0 by Rashid Hoda, but it is apparently no longer available. This is too bad, because it was fast, flexible, and free.

Fast Duplicate File Finder 1.1.0.0 by Mind Gems is another entry worth checking, also freeware the last time I checked.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!