1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Duplicate "My Documents" Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BamasLuLu, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

Hey ya'll !!! Happy Holidays!

So, I'm having some work done on my computer via another thread or two, and since I've been so engrossed on looking at all the stuff on my computer, I noticed something that I really haven't paid any particular attention to until recently. When I click on Start>Explore I see that there are two folders called My Documents. They each have the same subfolders in them; i.e., My Pictures, and other documents that I have.

Are these duplicates???!!!:eek: And if I delete one of the two, will it mess up anything? (Gee, I wish I could ask that better, but do ya'll understand what I'm trying to ask?)

Peace & blessings,

Hope

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

How Many "User Accounts" Do You Have. Does Both The "My Document" Folder Are Inside The Same User Account Folder

3. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

Just one user account -- thanks Devil (gee, that sounds weird)......and huh to this??-->Does Both The "My Document" Folder Are Inside The Same User Account Folder

Did you mean to say, are both My Document folders inside the same user account folder? (Lordybe, not sure I understand what I'm asking that you asked ! LOLOLOLOL:D )

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

Start > Run > Copy And Paste The Following And Click OK > A Notepad Will Pop up > Copy And Paste Everything Here

Code:
    cmd /k Reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths" /s >logon.txt && logon.txt

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Whatever You Understand My English Is Weak .... :eek:

6. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

Taaa Dah! I did it. Here it is !!

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
    Owner REG_SZ C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents

7. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

Well. I don't know where you're from, but between your accent and my southern dialog (ask CookieGal) we'll trudge through this together ;):D

I just appreciate your help so much !!!

Hope

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

Are You referring To The Duplicate Folder Inside "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\" OR One On The "Desktop" And The Other Inside "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\"

The Real "My Documents" Folder Is "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents" .
    The One On The Desktop Is Just a Shortcut To The Current Users Document

9. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

Nope, not the one on the desktop. There are two My Document folders when I right click on the Start button and click Explore.:)

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

Right Click Start Menu And Click Explore ...

One "My Documents" Is at the Top Below Desktop .. This is the One You See on The Desktop

The 2nd "My Documents" Is A Little Down .... Under My Compter > System Drive > Documents And Settings > You Account Name .......

No Duplicate ...

11. BamasLuLu

BamasLuLu Thread Starter

OOOOOOhhh! You are smart beyond your years !!!! I'm so glad I asked this question though, because I was going to delete that "second" one I saw !!! Thank you thank you thank you. Now. How do we marked this one solved?:D

12. devil_himself

devil_himself

Glad We Could Help

You Can Use The "Thread Tools" At The Top To Mark The 'Thread' As "Solved"

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice