1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Duplicate name on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CarolinaBill, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have three Windows XP computers networked together in a subnet "Homenet": A and B by ethernet cable that runs through a router R; and computer C that connects by wireless through an access point W connected to R. I have just recently started receiving a message "A duplicate name exists on the network" This occurs when I connect A to an outside WiFi community network, "RESNET" that has a different IP address series. This network provides my access to the internet and by choice of that network, access is controlled by MAC addresses. Computer A connects directly to the internet through RESNET, computers B and C connect by ICS through computer A. I have repeatedly checked IP addresses and they seem to be correct.
    Ipconfig on computer A properly shows automatic IP addressing for the RESNET network, which is in the range 172.16.xx.xx with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. The DNS address comes from a Time-Warner ISP line which is hardwired to the community RESNET server. Computer A has an IP address for the subnet of 192.168.2.1 which I deliberately changed from the default value of 192.168.0.1 that is provided on first establishing an ICS network. This is also the default gateway address to the network for the Homenet computers. My router, R, has an IP address of 192.168.2.10 and provides DHCP address service for the wireless portion of the network. Computer B has a static IP of 192.168.2.2. The wireless access, W, has an IP address of 192.168.2.20. Both R and W are Lincsys equipment. Computer C is a laptop and has automatic IP addressing for the occasions when it is not at home and needs to connect to other networks. When networked at home, it is normally assigned an IP address of 192.168.2.5. So nowhere do I see a duplication or conflict in IP addresses. To summarize:
    RESNET gateway: 172.16.01 Computer A access to RESNET: 172.16.xx.xx DNS fixed and provided by RESNET
    Homenet gateway: 192.168.2.1 Computer A: 192.168.2.1 Computer B 192.168.2.2 Computer C: (192.168.2.5)
    Homenet DHCP: 192.168.2.10 Router: 192.168.2.10 Wireless access: 192.168.2.20

The only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem is the computer name for A (Bill) which is something I have not changed for years. If I ping "Bill" from computer B or C, I get an IP address of 192.168.2.1, and if I open My Networks and access the Bill computer, I very properly am connected to the shared files and printer for A as I have been doing for years. If I ping "Bill" from A, I get an IP address corresponding to the 172.16.xx.xx address for RESNET. Is this correct? Also if I try to re-establish the Homenet network by using the Network Sharing Wizard, when I come to the point where I am asked for the name of the computer, I get a message that I cannot use "Bill" because that is a duplicate name. So it appears that some place in the configuration of the Homenet ICS network I have something that is working wrong that I cannot identify. How can I correct this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are the names of your other two computers? Is there another device on the RESNET network named "Bill"?

3. CarolinaBill

I didn't mention that the recent messages I have been getting happened to be when both other computers were turned off. The other computer names are Rover and Pat. When I open the Homenet folder from any of the computers I see any and all of the computers that happen to be turned on at the time. And this has been true for a long time.

To add some more information, for each network adapter (wireless for RESNET and ethernet for Homenet), I have checked
    Client for Microsoft Networks, Qos Packet Scheduler, and AEGIS Protocol. For RESNET, I have file and print sharing turned off but have checked a RealTek EAPPkt protocol that was added by the wireless adapter which is a RealTek 8187. For Homenet, that protocol is turned off, but file and printer sharing is turned on.

I have no access to any other computers on the RESNET network directly. When I try to explore the network I sometimes see (but not always) in addition to my Homenet network, MSGroup, and Workgroup. Each of the latter folders has a string of computer names, none of which are accessible to me, but I have never seen a plain Bill name among them. They are obviously the result of individual computers being connected to RESNET with whatever default workgroup their computer belonged to depending on the version of Windows used. I tried to look at those a minute ago, but did not see them, and got a message that I could not open Homenet.

4. CarolinaBill

I have changed the name of computer A and that apparently has taken care of my problem. I have no idea where the other occurrence of "Bill" was hiding but I won't worry about it for now. Thanks Terry for responding. I will close this thread here.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!