Solved: durring games restarts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Elf Mistress

Ok, when i play any game on my computer be it the sims or morrowind or swat 4 or anything else i am able to play the game for about 5 to 10 min and then my computer restarts. Why? My computer has windows xp on it.
It has just recovered from a virues a few weeks ago so that might have something to do with it.
Any help would be great cause at the moment i have no idea where to start looking for a problem.

Welcome to TSG (y)

Did the games work fine before the virus attack?

How were the viri wiped out?... were things deleted?..

You can check if it's heat, by removing the side cover and using a house fan to blow air in.. if it helps, your card or PC are over heating..

Oops, can you list any more specs about your PC?
RAM, Processor, type of video you have.. (Card or on-board)..

Elf Mistress

Thanks for the welcome.

By the way the driver's are all up to date. It is not heat it is something else.

The games did work fine before the virues. We had to reformate C drive.

I think this is the info that you want about the computer.
AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2700+
2.16 GHz 512 MB of Ram

where do i find info on the video card?

... video... Control panel, System, hardware, Device Manager, under "display adaptors".

Have you also updated your Direct-X?. I think 9c is still the newest..
Are you sure the video drivers are up to date?..

Edit: your sure it's not heat?... After a reformat, the only issue I could see is heat or drivers.

OK, thinking on it more.. Maybe we can find out why..
In XP go here; Start, Control Panel, System... Advanced tab.. Start up and Recovery.
Uncheck the "Automaticaly Restart"..

Next time it crashes you should get an error screen.. Write down any error codes or information on the crash..

One slight remote thing, if it's not heat or drivers... A virus, depending on how bad, could have messed up your Hardware... It's rare but can happen.. I hope that's not it..

just bare with us.. TSG is good at solving problems.. It just may take some time, and trying things, you may have done before..

Yes I just had this problem with another person. For games this is almost always the reason.

This is what I wrote in the other thread (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/434009-computer-restarting-all-sudden.html)

It could be a hardware issue like a loose cable, psu, etc. Or it could be that your pc is having many errors which windows is set to reboot on errors.

It is probably restarting because the OS is experiencing a BSOD or a Stop Error. The OS is set to automatically restart the PC on errors - this can be stopped so you can see the error.

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Statup and Recovery --> uncheck 'Automatically Restart in the System Failure section.

You should also be able to see the error in the Event Viewer (Control Panel --> System --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer.

Copy the error then search the MS web site on the error MS's web site - the message may also tell you a file that is causing a problem...

THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS FOR A PC TO REASTART from OVERHEATING to ERRORS to A PIECE OF BROKEN HARDWARE . WE CAN'T BE SURE QUITE YET WHY

Elf Mistress

Sorry its been awhile.

Well the problem is fixed.
I opened the computer up to make double sure it wasn't heat and saw that there was a lot of dust so i got all the dust out and now it works perfectly.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great

Thanks(y) :)

Glad we could help..
You can mark this post solved by using the "Thread Tools" near the top of the page..
You and only you can do this.. (OK, well a mod could, but .... )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online