1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD burner and CD rom disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vandaria, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

Hello!

Last night for no reason my both dvd burner and cd roms disappeared off the My Computer folder. As well I cannot play from either of them and my little roxio drag and drop tray says No burner if I open it.

They both show up in device manager as working properly. Just incase I uninstalled them from there, rebooted and they were both refound again and I was told they were working properly. Upon restarting my computer this morning I could see they both showed up in the boot options in my bios and they do blink their power indicator lights in the same order they always have, yet again they are inaccessible.

The only thing I think I have yet to do is unhook them from my motherboard and try again that way, yet I was hesitant to do this as again they show up with their proper names etc in device manager and bios.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

WinXP SP2
    1gig ram
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    GeForce FX5900XT
    Athlon 64 3500
    Gigabyte K8NSC-939

2. onsite

onsite

Are they showing up in windows explorer ?
    how about windows explorer in safe mode ( tap F8 at start up) ?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

5. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

I unplugged and replugged in the cables and it didnt do anything. I then used the registry fix as was mentioned and now they show up in My Computer and will play discs but my burner is still not recognized by the software and it wont burn anything. I am trying to find a driver for it now to see if that will help it.

EDIT after some tinkering around I am seeing since doing the registry thing (which was good as they are now found) my dvd burner is now being recognized as a cd rom instead of a dvd which is why I am unable to get it to burn I am guessing. I did a system rollback and still nothing.

6. onsite

onsite

I had the same experience with one of my PCs. I think it was drivers from " GEAR" software either direcly with their product or other third parties that use it too. I used the edit above then. The only remidi was too finally reload. I think Gear has the regedit or something simular on their web . It was a while ago and do not remeber the details. I think what happens is the GEAR software or what ever over writes a cd / dvd driver.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio software?

8. Petlydecker

Petlydecker

Why don't you try to remove the ASPI drivers with the help of Force ASPI and reinstall them, also with the help of Force ASPI. Will not hurt your, system only help. If you do follow instructions and reboot after removing and installing (both times). If Adaptec or any other burning program does not see your CDROM or CDRW if is a strong idea that your ASPI drivers are not installed or corrupt. I use it on my system, which is WinXP Service Pack 2. This is just a suggestion. Link - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Someone should provide the Roxio fix here as there is a known issue when the Roxio gets corrupted it removes the drives as well...damned if I can find a url for it today!

10. Vandaria

Vandaria Thread Starter

Ok I fiddled here and there and reinstalled my Roxio twice and right now the program accepts it as being a dvd burner. However My Computer is still in protest that it has 2 cd roms. I am going to sheepishly??? call this fixed unless Roxio forgets what it is again.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Vandaria

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have seen that happen until you actually put a dvd disk in the burner, it may show cd writer or even cd rom.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!