1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "DVD burner not found" (Windows DVD Maker)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by spam-man, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spam-man

spam-man Thread Starter

I have opened Windows DVD Maker and added a .wmv file to burn onto DVD. Everything work and is set to go but the software hasn't picked up a DVD burner on my system.

I have burned DVD data discs and have also copied existing DVDs using the Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning software on the machine, so I know the hardware is working! The Roxio software sadly doesn't allow me burn DVDs from files on my computer, which Windows DVD Maker does (or at least should, if I could get it to pick up the DVD burner!).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

With thanks
    Mark

P.S. The DVD burner is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA31N ATA Device

2. spam-man

spam-man Thread Starter

Many thanks To Elvandil who has solved this problem here: www.techguy.org/896890

I am using a USB Modem (connecting to the '3' Mobile Phone network) - for some reason, the USB Modem gets picked up in Device Manager as a CD/DVD ROM drive, and this is what was causing the issue!

I simply unplugged the modem, and restarted Windows DVD Maker, and it found my DVD burner straight away :)

Many thanks Elvandil for some great diagnostics!

Mark

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035186