Solved: DVD Burning Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Money Pit

Dave
I want to learn how to burn a DVD. I have some clips of varying length in such formats as WMV, Max wmv,Mpeg,Mpg,Avi,Hi asf. basically anything that will play in Win. Media player.
I have Nero Ultra 6 installed can that be used for DVD's?
I don't have a DVD burner JUST a CD burner. Heck I don't even have a DVD player YET and that's a whole 'nuther' problem, which player to buy?
MY questions are as follows:
1 Do I need a DVD Burner? or will my CD burner work for DVD's
2 If my regular CD burner will work, do I need to buy blank DVD media?
I don't have a problem buying a NEW DVD burner but I'd hate to if my old CD will burn DVD's?
I guess I don't even understand the basics of DVD's and how to burn them? I've tried to read up on the process but I get lost in the 'muddy water' so to speak.
ANY help or advice you could offer would be a blessing. Thanks :) Dave

Money Pit said:
I want to learn how to burn a DVD. I have some clips of varying length in such formats as WMV, Max wmv,Mpeg,Mpg,Avi,Hi asf. basically anything that will play in Win. Media player.
I have Nero Ultra 6 installed can that be used for DVD's?
I don't have a DVD burner JUST a CD burner. Heck I don't even have a DVD player YET and that's a whole 'nuther' problem, which player to buy?
MY questions are as follows:
1 Do I need a DVD Burner? or will my CD burner work for DVD's
2 If my regular CD burner will work, do I need to buy blank DVD media?
I don't have a problem buying a NEW DVD burner but I'd hate to if my old CD will burn DVD's?
I guess I don't even understand the basics of DVD's and how to burn them? I've tried to read up on the process but I get lost in the 'muddy water' so to speak.
ANY help or advice you could offer would be a blessing. Thanks :) Dave
You need a DVD burner to burn DVD's.
The best a CD-RW will produce is video on (S)VCD's, which many modern DVD players support.

If you're interested in authoring and encoding in DVD compliant format, read here:
http://www.videohelp.com/

Read through the first post of my thread at top--you don't need to read through the rest.

You need a DVD burner--don't even waste your time burning Video CDs--the quality is poor compared to DVDs and its not guaranteed to play in a DVD player.

You can get a good DVD burner (like NEC) for about $40 online or at a local computer store for a little more. Get that first.

Nero will burn DVDs--not sure if that version has DVD authoring software but the latest versions of NERO (the suite) does. But you need software to in addition to the Burner unless you buy a burner that comes bundled with the software. Typically, however, it comes bundled with "light" versions of software that function but they like you to upgrade to their latest and full versions.

I like Pinnacle Studios personally. I also like ULead software as well as Sony's Screenblast (although that is now being sold as Vegas Movie Studio). All of those are good basic programs that cost about $100. You can also download Windows Movie Maker for free.

That being said, I am going to throw you a curve. I HATE HOME BURNED DVDS!!!! :mad: The reason being there are too many steps to have things go wrong and its inefficient as hell. I store all my home movies on a hard drive in DVD compliant form (MPEG-2) and use a networked DVD player (I use Momitsu) to stream the video to my television. Lite-On also makes one as do other companies. MS new XBOX will also do that.

Money Pit

Dave
Thanks Muilder: A networked DVD player? Hmmmm Interesting :)
I do have all my movies stored on an external hard drive and this idea might work? I have read enough to know that burning DVD's is not as simple as CDR's
I have a DVD Rom drive installed in my PC now, (which I've never used as such) won't that send the DVD movie to my TV upstairs?

Money Pit

Dave
"won't that send the DVD movie to my TV upstairs?"
LOL of COURSE it would IF I had my movies on a CD :)
Sorry I just woke up :)
I like this idea tho :) Thanks Dave

DVD burners are cheap now. I have a Samsung that i bought here in Bangkok for about 2000 baht. Around 30quid.

(y) Hello Money Pit--All of this is a way of disposing of your excess cash! Anyway, I recently upgraded my DVD burner from a Lite-on which came with the system to an HP 740i, available at Wal-Mart for around $69-$79. It is DVD plus and minus, DL-Dual Layer at 8x as well as Lightscribe, which allows you to turn over DVD and Burn the Label in grey like color, not real colors of course. Lightscribe will take about 25 minutes to do your "label".

Mulder, where could you refer me to find an answer to my Media Center TV recorder error, previously posted- "file does not exist on PC or is and unsupported file" Mulder, please point me to info on sending media, as your answer stated with sending wireless to your TV? Thanks, Claytonwg :D

Like others have said, a good DVD burner is cheap now! VCD's a horrible. You can also buy a good stand alone DVD player cheap as well ie. Phillips DVP 642.
Not promoting anything but afterdawn.com is good for dvd/cdr burning info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online