Solved: DVD burning software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kbyrne5

Hello. I have home video dvds I'd like to make copies of to give to family members. Can you recommend what software to purchase or download please? Also, I have an XP version 2002 with 2 drives. How can I be sure I'm able to make copies of the DVDs before I purchase the software? Thank you.:eek:

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, How were the DVDs made? Recorded from VHS camcorder or....?
What two drives do you mean---are either a DVD/RW burner?
If the discs you have were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder/player you should be able to recopy them using software, but you need a DVD burner attached to or installed in the computer.
Right click My Computer> select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

What does it say under CDROM drives....

To play the recorded DVDs, others would need a way to view them, not all DVD players will play all discs...standalone or otherwise. A lot depends on what blank discs you use, for one...

This thread here might help you: http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/236165-mulders-guide-burning-vcds-dvds-home-movies.html I am sure if you ask him for some help he can get you going

kbyrne5

Hello again and thank you.
I right clicked on my computer and found that I have a CD/DVD drive
Hitachi DVD-romGD 7500
Plexor CD-R
I bought maxel dvd-rw to make copies of the dvds. The dvds are copies made from VHS and given to me. I want to make additional copies to hand out. So, I guess I need to buy an additional DVD burner, correct? Any suggestions as to what kind and where>? I will also check your other threads to find out about burning and software. Thanks again.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
No you would not need to buy an additional drive. You already have a Maxel burner. Just stick the disk into it to make copies of it. It just caches everything on the hard drive first. Once that is done it will ask you to stick in a blank disk to make the copy. Or you can stick the disk you want to copy in the Hitachi dvd-rom and burn it to the maxel. Makes no difference.

MysticEyes

Banned
Squashman said:
No you would not need to buy an additional drive. You already have a Maxel burner. Just stick the disk into it to make copies of it. It just caches everything on the hard drive first. Once that is done it will ask you to stick in a blank disk to make the copy. Or you can stick the disk you want to copy in the Hitachi dvd-rom and burn it to the maxel. Makes no difference.
No I don't think so. Sounds like he bought some blank Maxell discs not a DVD burner.

Some good info on burners here. Most burners come with software that will do what you ask.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/search/B/

kbyrne5

Thanks for the web info and all your help. The burner info is really what I needed. Happy New Year!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!