1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD/CD-R drive makes weird noises when writing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acealive1, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acealive1

acealive1 Thread Starter

i just got the replacement toshiba lightscribe drive in the mail yesterday and it plays EVERYTHING fine but will NOT write without making u think the drive is about to self destruct. it gives off these weird crunching sounds like the drive is laboring really bad and it takes a minute for it to eject when this happens. can anyone help me before i call HP tomorrow and rip them a new one? unless im overlooking somethin i'd say i got a faulty drive.......AGAIN.

2. mkn4372

mkn4372

Don't write at max speed. Better test with lower speed option 16x or 24x. If it is again producing sound then call for ur h/w vendor. Try good quality media while writing not the cheaper one.

3. acealive1

acealive1 Thread Starter

i totally appreciate you help,bro. there was no other outcome when i set it at a lower speed. *sighs* well,HP has some explaining to do now. thanks again for taking time out to give input. i also notice they gave me a different model.........DVD RAM is the properties name, so im gonna go ape on these people when i call.

4. acealive1

acealive1 Thread Starter

UPDATE:

i got on the horn with HP and had to lie to them to get them to send the dvd drive i spoke of previously because they wanted me to blank my hard drive so "obliged" and told them i did already. so they sent me the drive that sounded like it was going to self destruct,then i sent that back and got another one which worked fine. i must have the worst luck with these because this one works fine. to anyone that helped,thank you. who knew u could get a replacement drive that was as bad as your broken drive

P.S.

also, NEVER let them remote your PC and do the hard drive recovery. let them do anything but,and then call them back and tell them u did it on your own and it still wasnt the problem. you'll get your warranty covered parts a lot quicker and not have to start over.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice