1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD & CD-ROM drive stopped working out of no where

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsxguy77, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsxguy77

tsxguy77 Thread Starter

Ok, so I am on my Dell PC and wanted to burn a disk. Out of no where, the drives were not working! I tried to un-install them from the device manager and re install them. It seems to work at first and it recognizes both drives and then I keep getting a message saying there was a problem when installin gmy new hardware.

The odd thing is, I have not done anything new besides install 1 new program, a DIVX player. I dont see how this could affect hardware issues. Any ideas?? Please help me! I was thinking it might be a bad cable but why then would it recognize them at first while re-installing them and then crap out?

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

I'd still pull the cable and re-seat it, just in case. ANd yes, the div-x app could well have corrupted the system drivers for the cd/dvd, so it might be worth uninstalling it, or even re-installing it, see if that helps.

Scorp.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If there is an error code in Device Manager for the DVD and CD, try this:

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
    You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : fixcd.reg
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

4. tsxguy77

tsxguy77 Thread Starter

That worked! I guess the registry got messed up when installing the DIVX program but removing the program didnt do the trick. Thanks a lot!!:)

5. JohnWill

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

6. arvidcarlander

arvidcarlander

Excellent! I had a similar problem with CDs/DVDs not working after running out of space on C while burning CDs. Guess my registry was corrupt. Your script fixed it first time - I am most grateful.

Now I just need to get napster light working again - it failed at the same time claiming my rights management information is missing.

-Arvid

7. JohnWill

I don't know about Napser, I'm the CD/DVD expert. ;)

I'd suggest maybe trying to uninstall it entirely, then install it again.

8. rlee33

rlee33

I read your solution and it worked for me too. I also installed divx software and I guess that is what corrupted the registry. Now my Nero program works perfectly with both cd and dvd burners. All I have to figure out is how to get Roxio 7 to see them. It thinks there are no burners in my computer.

Thanks again for the help.

9. JohnWill

It's a very common issue, why do you think I have that canned message ready? :D

10. Zingy1

Zingy1

My thanks to you as well, John! I'd spoken to an eMachine tech who told me to reseat the cable. Did that. No solution. I read somewhere else that a system restore had corrected the problem for someone. Tried that. No solution. Your instructions did the trick. I'll come here first next time. :D

11. JohnWill

Boy, I got about four with this post, glad it was so effective. :D

12. GLSmyth

GLSmyth

Well, make that a fifth, as I was pointed to this message and it worked for me. Thanks so much!

Cheers -

george

13. Crusher

Crusher

Thank you - it worked for me as well.
    My cd and dvd stopped being recognized (error code 37) sometime after christmas and today (JAN 06, 2007).
    My suspicion is that ipod sofware played a part in it (ituneshelper.exe, ipodservice.exe and quicktime pro - quicktime has always given me trouble).
    After a while, I asked Google the right question and was directed to the techguy. I followed your instructions and it works.

I registered to say thank you

Thank you

wl

14. JohnWill

Glad one post was so helpful! :D

15. freda4

freda4

This is my first time on this site and forum. My problems seem similar to others. I have a Dell dimension 2300 Windows xp sp2 and have encountered problems since uninstalling Roxio easy creator 9. I have installed new hardware which is recognised by the bios, windows etc. I have two problems. The cd & DVD drives will only play audio and not read cd roms. Windows states wrong format, no error codes. My 3.52 floppy drive 1.44 cannot be read, written to or formatted in windows. I can however format it by using run, cmd and format from the c> prompt and give it a volume label. I am wondering if the regedit by JohnWill may fix the problem. Any suggestions are welcome please?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525621