Solved: DVD drive audio/video stuttering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Darklightr

I just installed a new Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD drive/burner. I can't figure out why it's stuttering with both audio and video during playback.

It's the third drive installed in my PC. I've got the HD on one cable, and on the other cable, a Lite-On CD-ROM driver as master and this Sony drive as the slave. I've updated the firmware for the Sony drive and I'm still getting this problem.

I know it's not a problem with system resources or resolution. I've got a 3.0 Ghz HT CPU, 1 Gb of RAM, and a Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT OC. I don't have any open programs running while trying to watch DVD movies. When a DVD plays, both the audio and video stutter. I've even tried listening to regular CDs in the drive and it sounds like the audio is still stuttering.

Could it be the fact that the Sony drive is on slave? If I changed it to master, would this fix the problem? Thanks in advance!

First off, I'd make sure the cable the drive is on is a 80 wire cable and not a 40 pin cable. Next I'd try swapping it's location on the cables to see if it worked better. Some model drives don't like being on the same cable with some different model drives.

If that didn't help, I'd check in the device manager to make sure the drive is using DMA mode. You do this by opening the device manager, right click on the devices listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI and choose properties, then check the primary channel and secondary channel tabs.

If it's not using DMA, try reloading the motherboard drivers, restart and check again.

It could also be a bad 80 wire cable.

Darklightr

I switched both of the drives on that cable. The hard drive is still on the seperate cable. I put the DVD drive on the end (master) and the CD drive on slave.

Now the problem is reversed. I'm not really bothered too much but it'd be nice to know exactly what's causing it. When I play a CD in the CD drive now, I get bad audio quality.

Any ideas?

Darklightr

I dealt with the bad audio quality for a bit (it was just kind of annoying), but I finally took the old CD drive out so now I have my hard drive set as master on one cable and the Sony disc drive set as master on the second cable. That eliminated the audio problems.

I'm guessing it was just a hardware conflict issue...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online