1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD drive found only after resuming from Sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by greeble, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greeble

greeble Thread Starter

Hi All,

Looking for some help here from a very unusual problem.

I have a Plextor 716-A DVD drive in my machine that's running Windows 7 32-bit, ASUS P5Q deluxe MB and 2 x SATA HDD's.
    The DVD drive is not found by Windows on start-up, it does not appear in My Computer or in Computer Management - basically Windows knowns nothing about it.

The DVD drive is found in the BIOS and I can see it's being loaded during boot-up. I can use the drive as a bootable drive.

The drive is only discovered by Windows when I enter and then resume from sleep mode or hibernation and works fine.

I've gone through every article I could find on the Web from Mr Fix it to the Upper/Lower Filters regedit.

Any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you mean by: "I can see it's being loaded during boot-up." ?

3. greeble

greeble Thread Starter

I mean I can see the device was found before windows starts loading i.e. just after the BIOS screen (the BIOS Post screen)

4. greeble

greeble Thread Starter

I contacted Plextor and it looks like this drive isn't supported by Win 7 - think it's time to bin it!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That doesn't really make sense. Whether the drive works should not depend on the OS involved. It is a generic Windows driver.

You know, right, that by default Windows 7 does not show empty drives?

But if you do get a new drive, please let us know if the problem went away. There may be some strange reason that the drive doesn't work in 7 (which means it couldn't work in Vista, either).

6. greeble

greeble Thread Starter

The drive didn't show on the Windows 7 compatibility list either when I was installing the OS. Since the drive works when I resume from Sleep I'll probably hold onto it until I really need to upgrade, not ideal I know. I rarely use the drive anyway.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it's your business, of course, but I thought I should say something so you didn't end up in the same boat with a new drive.

Just for the heck of it, in Control Panel > Folder Options > View, is "Hide Empty Drives" checked?

Good luck.

8. greeble

greeble Thread Starter

Yes that option was checked, I unchecked it but the drive did not appear - thanks anyway for your suggestions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice