1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD drive hot swappable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwredt, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

In a Dell Latitude D600 laptop computer, is a DVD drive hot-swappable, that is, can you unplug it while the computer is running without damaging the drive of the controller on the motherboard?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I really don't know what the offical word from Dell is; but, the benefit of doing it that way is too small when weighed against what could be damaged. Even if Dell said it was okay, you have to consider disk controllers (meaning main board, too) aren't replacable in laptops.

3. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

After doing so, the DVD drive doesn't show up when My Computer is opened up and of course it will read no disks. Also, when trying to install a dirver for the audio it says that the device is not present. Is it possible that when he unplugged it with the computer on that that controller was ruined too?

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Very possible.

I would turn off the laptop, remove the battery and power supply, leave the DVD drive disconnected, let it sit over night.

Reinsert the DVD drive and battery and reconnect the power and turn it on and hope for the best.

5. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I tried the things you suggested but to no avail. I guess that either the controller on the motherboard or the drive is shot. My friends wife has the same computer. I guess he should try this drive in that laptop to see if it works in it. Then we will know if it is the drive or the controller that is bad. I'll let you know what happens when I can get it done.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If the drive or controller is bad, you can get an external USB type; but, that does sort of defeat some of the compactness and portability of a laptop.

7. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

We copied the contents of the recovery disk to a flash drive on another computer then used that to reinstall (upgrade) Windows XP on the Dell computer and that fixed the problem with the DVD drive and the audio. So it was not a problem with the controllers after all.
    Thank you for helping with this

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice