1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD Drive not recognizing DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sph_12, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sph_12

sph_12 Thread Starter

I've hit a snag and need some help. A few hours ago, I burned several home movies onto a brand new Verbatim 16x DVD +R. When I play the DVD in my burner, it plays fine. When I play it on a DVD player hooked to a TV, it plays fine. However, when I play it on my DVD-ROM (on the same computer, just above the burner) it does not play. When I double click on this drive in My Computer, it tells me to insert a disk into drive D. Here all of my specs.

Dell Dimension 8400
    Windows XP SP2
    DVD-ROM: JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166 (According to the Dell site, Lite-On made this)
    DVD Burner: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

While these disks are 16x (and Verbatim, one of the best kinds), my burner's top speed is 8x. I went to Verbatim's site and found that these disks will burn from 1x-16x. Lastly, the firmware in both drives is up-to-date. Ironically, a Staples 8x DVD +R will play in the DVD-ROM drive.
    ***Using Nero CD-DVD speed, the ID on this disk is MCC 004.***

I appreciate you help.
    Thanks,
    sph_12:)

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening sph_12, quite obviously the drive is not reading the freshly burned disks but it is reading a previously burned one.
    This has the symptoms of a dying drive, typical unreliability.

Does the DVDROM read a commercial movie?
    Is there any problem reading CD's?

The easiest way to diagnose this is to simply place another drive in that slot, or place that drive in another machine.

An alternative method is to try using a different operating system to get problem confirmation.
    I regularly use a live linux program for this kind of determination, this involves a bit of a learning curve if you wanted to try it.

qldit.

3. sph_12

sph_12 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, qldit. I may have found the problem. The first disk I burned has a total movie time of 2 hrs, 2 mins, and 27 secs, yet the space used on the disk is only 4.09/4.7 gb. Could burning a disc over its 2 hour time limit, while still keeping under the space requirement, cause the drive to not recognize the disk? I just burned another disk, exact same brand as the first, but it is only about 50 mins, and way under the 4.7 gb limit, and this time it did work in the DVD-ROM drive.

Thanks,

4. qldit

qldit

Anything is possible with this kind of thing.
    Basically if you find a process and media that work well, stick to it!

Burn speed has bearing on burn quality also.
    Actually if I get a decen burn anytime, I feel it is a win, it is a complex activity.

The idea of having a different operating system to check device operation can be very useful, I often use a live CD and it contains a different type of burn and read program so it can be quite hepful.

These lasers commonly deteriorate or have optical problems and can become a real nuisance. The disks also are often questionable with dye reverting and read errors.

Cheers, qldit.

5. sph_12

sph_12 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if burning a DVD beyond its 2 hour limit, while still staying under the 4.7 gb limit, could cause a drive not to read it?

Thanks,
    sph_12

6. eguy

eguy

Just a thought.... cause I know it does matter in some cases....and anyone can give their input if I am way off....but does it matter that it is a +Disc not a -Disc.

7. sph_12

sph_12 Thread Starter

eguy,
    Sorry I forgot to put this in my original post. This drive in question will play both DVD +- R. I have tried other DVD+R and they work fine. My guess is that exceeding the time limit is the problem, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone verify this hypothesis?

Thanks,

8. sph_12

sph_12 Thread Starter

At last, my problem is solved. I burned the image onto a different disc (still Verbatim 16x), and it plays fine on the drive.
    Thanks for all your help.

9. qldit

qldit

Congratulations, stay with that format and media, change nothing!! LOL.
    You can mark your thread solved in thread tools from your first post.

By the way, rather than consider overburning you might have a look at DVD shrink, it is a program for downsizing a DVD file.

qldit.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice