1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD drive weirdness...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moOse123, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

So i got my nice new computer, expecting everything to work all lovely and smoothly..

..but lo behold, i have to go through a whole load of problems to fix, such as drivers not working for my 64 bit XP Pro and manually setting up my dual boot with the normal XP Pro. For someone who hasn't done all this before, it was quite a trek, trawling through the interweb to find all the right answers.

But i finally got everything working properly (no thanks to microsoft :mad:), or so i thought. The DVDs didnt play properly! Whenever i used the DVD drive to copy files over from a disc or install software, it seemed to be using an insane amount of CPU power, something even I know it shouldnt be doing. The DVDs i put in there played back choppy, both the audio and the video.. this was all very confusing, so I asked my dad about it. He took the drive out and played around with the settings on the back and stuck it back in. After this the drive worked fine for a few days, until today! Dun dun duuun..

I went into My Computer on my 64 Bit XP, to see why the disc I just inserted hadnt popped up with its autoplay, and the DVD icon wasnt there! :eek: I looked under device manager, and XP still recognises that i have it, but it says.. "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
    So i figured i'd look under my 32 bit normal XP, and the DVD drive works fine... :confused:
    Not only that, but under device manager it says that the drive is different.. that was the last straw.. a rather "what the hell?!?!" moment to be precise..

On my 64 Bit XP, it reads the drive as "SATA DVD DC DW1670 SCSI CdRom Device"
    But under normal XP, it reads it as "BENQ DVD DC DW1670"

Any ideas of what is actually going on?!! Its a bit confuzzling..

2. twizzie

twizzie

simliar problem here, I was told that windows recognizes optical drives by its self, but It still didn't work, and I couldn't fix it. Try downloading the drivers

3. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

Aye windows is really sucky for this kind of thing.. and every kind of thing like this to be honest!
    Any ideas where to get the drivers from?

4. twizzie

twizzie

sure, its says its a BenQ drive, so you have to download a driver from this site:
    http://www.benq.us/support/downloads/index.cfm?productline=30

But, first you have to find out the model number for your drive
    http://belarc.com/
    Click on free download. This will tell you your computer specifications. It will also mention the model # for your optical drive. Match that with the site for Benq.

5. Leec65

Leec65

before you download you need to know what you are downloading are not driver for windows but firmware for the DVD that you flash the DVD with if that get the wrong update (like the wrong DVD) and flash with it, it will trash the drive
    under windows you do not need driver widows has them builded in

6. twizzie

twizzie

Yea, your right on the windows optical drives automatically noticed, but to the best of my knowledge, its a little different for X64, I'm running on the same system, optical drives are a pain in the.

7. Leec65

Leec65

yes X64 not the best in the world I have copy in the drawer that was installed on a new build and had so much trouble with it i had to pull it off put a 32 bit XP on it

8. twizzie

twizzie

yep, lets just say its more for an actual professional, rather than an enthuiast.

9. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

hmm.. okay, tried that now, and it didnt work! not quite sure where to go with this as is wont update the firmware if it cant read the drive.. which for some reason it cant..:confused:

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, this isn't a firmware issue. The drive is most likely running in PIO mode, the giveaway is the high processor usage. Try the remedies described here: http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

11. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

if i use that vbs, will it reset anything to do with my hard drives? or just the dvd drive?
    basically what im worried about is wiping my hard drive! dont really want to be doing that!

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nothing on that page will affect the data on your hard disk. They just describe how to fix the PIO issue.

13. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

14. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

15. moOse123

moOse123 Thread Starter

uber bump

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice