1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD drive will not read DVD's after mobo replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lavatrax, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

Just replaced my failed motherboard and all appears to be going well except that the installed DVD drive which was working fine before the mobo failed will not read the DVD of drivers supplied with the board. However the drive will read CD's which I find odd.

I've tried the DVD in another computer to confirm that it isn't a faulty disk and it was opened and read fine.

Device manager shows the drive as connected and working correctly.

On the problem machine I have :

Uninstalled from device manager and rebooted.
    Upgraded the DVD drive firmware to latest version
    Tried to upgrade the driver via microsoft update

I'm at a bit of a loss now.
    Any ideas please?

ASUS P5KPL motherboard, 4Gb RAM, SAMSUNG SATA HDD, HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-416B DVD Drive.

Thanks!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Was your replacement Mobo an exact duplicate of the failed Mobo? Or an upgrade while you were at it? What OS and Version are you using?

3. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

The mobo is an upgrade as the old board was about 5 years old and no direct replacement was available.

Running XP Home SP3, haven't got access right now to get further OS version info. Can supply when I am home later this afternoon.

4. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

OK, after a little playing around this afternoon, I found that the DVD drive was in fact faulty. I swapped a DVD drive from my daughters machine into the PC that had the problem and it worked fine. I then put the suspect drive into my daughters PC and it has the same problem with DVD's.

I presume that the DVD lens / head must have developed a fault, just unfortunate that the fault came apparent right after replacing the mother board:rolleyes:

Thanks anyway!

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could also be a dirty laser lense. You could try running a Cleaning disc in it.

6. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

I will try that when I have a chance to pick a cleaner up. As it stands it's a secondary drive in my daughters PC now, so not an immediate issue.

Thanks all.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice