1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD or DVD Player mystery

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by ralft, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ralft

ralft Thread Starter

I was unable to play a particular disk in my player. The motor or something just made a fairly loud whirring sound. So, I removed the disk and confirmed that my player is OK by trying 2 different disks. I tried the apparently faulty disk in another player and it seemed to be fine. Now I have a replacement disk with the same movie and again my player just makes the same ugly sound. BUT, when I put this one in my back up player it makes a few sounds and then smooths out BUT never plays. My back up player is a laptop PC and it shows no files on the disk. Any ideas?? I will try a 3rd disk but I will be surprised if it is any different.

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Have you checked online to see if any updates are available for you DVD player?
    Does the movie appear clean on the playing side?

3. ralft

ralft Thread Starter

Responding to Drabdr, how would I update my main standalone DVD player. Also, both disks appear clean and have no label or anything that might account for vibration.
    To update my original post, I have tried the 2nd faulty disk in another DVD player and it plays fine. Why would a disk only vibrate in 2 different players and yet play fine in another? Other disks play fine in my 2 players.

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad

5. ralft

ralft Thread Starter

No warp that I can see in either disk. And my main player is too old to have a USB port. I will think about replacing it. Tomorrow I will receive a 3rd copy of the same disk. If it won't work I will give up and move on.

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hopefully that third disk will work fine. I would be cautious of the sources of the disks if they 2nd one did not play in your computer.

Let us know how it goes. Sorry I could not be any more help.

7. ralft

ralft Thread Starter

Just received a 3rd copy of "Stone Angel" AND IT WORKS FINE!!! The owner of these disks in Netflix

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Wow!

Sounds like you found the solution. If you are satisfied with this thread, please press the "solved" tab in either the lower or upper left-hand side of the screen when you are viewing this thread.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!