Solved: DVD playback help needed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moozer

Hi,

I just got a new (to me) DVD drive and although it works perfectly well with DVD based games, I can't play a pre-recorded DVD.

I tried WMP 11 but it tells me that it can't play the DVD and asks me to reduce colour depth and resolution in order to try and rectify the problem. It doesn't work and continues to give me the message.

I tried Real player - tells me it can't play DVD.

I have (I think) all relevant updates to WMP 11 and have also DivX decoder.

Any suggestions?

moozer

I've included the DVD drive's details :

Key Features

Burner Type DVD±RW Dual Layer

Storage Type Disk Drive

Read Speed 16x (DVD), 48x (CD)

Write Speed 48x (CD), 8x (DVD-R), 16x (DVD+R), 2.4x (DVD+R DL)

ReWrite Speed 24x (CD-RW), 4x (DVD+RW), 4x (DVD-RW)

Enclosure Type Internal

Platform PC
Technical Features
Interface IDE / EIDE

Supported CD Formats CD Text • CD-Extra • CD-ROM Mode 1 • CD-ROM Mode 2 • CD-ROM XA • Multi-Session • Photo-CD • Video-CD • CD Audio • CD-R • CD-RW • CD Enhanced

Recording CD Modes Track-at-once • Disc-at-once • Packet Write • Session-at-once • Multi-Session

Access Time CD 110 ms

Supported DVD Formats DVD-ROM • DVD-Video • Multi-Session

Recording DVD Modes Disk-at-once • Incremental Recording • Multi-Session • Restricted Overwriting

Access Time DVD 105 ms

Supported Media Writing Standards CD-R • CD-RW • DVD-R • DVD+R • DVD+RW • DVD+R DL (Double Layer) • DVD-RW

Buffer Size 2 MB

Go here and download the free trial of WinDVD, and try it. It is excellent software. If it works ok, then you may need codecs for WMP to be able to play them. WinDVD may even install a codec that will work with WMP. Worth a try.
Good luck!

moozer

I've downloaded all sorts of players - WinAmp, WinDVD, PowerDVD and nVidia's Purevideo decoder. I'll try each of themm out later on and let you know how I get along. Thanks guys!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, WinDVD and PowerDVD both will install and play DVD's with no sweat.

moozer

Hi Guys, PowerDVD works great, but now I'm experiencing other problems. Audio CD's work no problem and low spec DVD's work no problem, however, when I try to watch better quality DVD's there is jittering on video and sound. This issue has occured on three pre-recorded (shop bought) DVD's and are recent films (newest being Disney's "Cars").

I've done a drive test using Nero and it failed on read test with "Cars" inserted. When I play one of my DVD games it becomes really difficult as the jittering upsets gameplay.

Could this be a simple lens cleaning issue, or are we loking at something deeper.

I need to get a lens cleaner anyway today so I'll try that and see how we go. In the meantime any suggestions from you will be greatly appreciated (by me AND my kids!!!)

Thanks

It sounds like it's something deeper than a lens cleaning.
Check the manufacturer's site, and see if there are driver updates for your sound and video cards.
Good luck!

Newer dvds, especially Disney and Sony dvds, are so full of copy protection schemes, that's it's been creating a lot of playback problems, for a lot of people. If that's the case here, there's not much you're gonna be able to do about it.

moozer

Okay,

I've done a lens clean and there has been a significant improvement. Video playback still has some jitter but not half as bad. Sound could improve more but is far better than it was.

So that leads me to think that the lens could do with maybe a "wet" clean - I used a dry brush clean this time round. Am I okay to do this on this type of drive?

moozer

ALL IS WELL!!!

I managed to find a firmware update, applied it and the drive is as good as new!!

WOOHOO - playing the Disney DVD films perfectly and my games are smooth as silk!!

Thanks to all for their help!!!

(y) :) (y) :) (y) :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online