1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD Playback Problems in Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DoubleHelix, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

I am no longer able to play DVDs in Windows Media Player. The initial symptom was a lack of audio, but it appears that it's also not playing them correctly in general as there is no option to bring up the DVD menu nor does it appear.

I haven't attempted to do this for several weeks, so System Restore is out of the question. DVDs play fine in Corel WinDVD Plus, but I prefer Windows Media Player. Corel's codec should be able to be used by Windows Media Player. I assume that's how it worked before since without it I couldn't play DVDs in WMP at all.

Windows Media Player can play other audio and video files just fine, so it's not a problem with an incorrect sound or output device. I've tried searching for a solution, but Google appears to get more useless by the day. Most "results" are just links to descriptions of other people's problems sometimes years old with no good solutions or suggestions.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP3
    Windows Media Player 11

2. DoubleHelix

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you installed any "codec packs" or made any other changes, like installing other players or updates to WinDVD? What happens, exactly, when you try to play them? Any messages?

(I agree about Google. I have never been a fan and rarely use it. Too many results and too many irrelevant results. I find MSN or Avant Search to be much more usable, and with Boolean expressions, I nearly always find exactly what I'm looking for. Google is too bloated to be of any use to me.)

4. c0rruptioN

c0rruptioN

yeah, i have a problem with W.M.P. playing my DVD's very quietly, when i have everything at full for sound(im using a headset). i had the same problem with my old computer too so this is just friggin' annoying. Any suggestions? codecs? which ones would i need and how would i go about obtaining them?

5. DoubleHelix

I didn't install any CODECs. I avoid them unless they're absolutely necessary. I didn't make any changes to WinDVD, and the only updates I apply are the regular Windows security patches.

The problem is that DVDs play but there is no sound. I checked, and they are playing correctly otherwise. Just no sound. DVDs play fine with sound through WinDVD. I tried several DVDs. The problem is definitely with Windows Media Player.

c0rruptioN, if you're having a problem with Windows Media Player, you need to start your own thread. It's difficult to troubleshoot two problems on two computers in one thread.

6. c0rruptioN

c0rruptioN

o, soory i thought we were sharing the same problem. kk then.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Wouldn't be the first time a Win update broke something.

Might be worth installing this:

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3file

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may well be a codec issue now. Win DVD tends to try to take over.

Even if you dislike codecs (maybe just "packs", like me), this one is a very good, general one for avi's that can be uninstalled:

FFDShow DirectShow Codec

You can also scan an avi with Gspot to see what codecs are being used, and press the "Render" button at bottom to see if they are actually rendering both the video and audio streams.

These tools can be used to analyze media and your codecs for problems:

CodecInstaller
    GSpot
    DP MediaInfo
    VideoInspector
    Sherlock

If Gspot shows multiple codecs capable of rendering the streams, the priority of them may have been changed, so you can try disabling some to see if the streams are rendered correctly with the next in line.

9. DoubleHelix

Windows Media Player didn't have a problem playing DVDs following the installation of WinDVD. That's what provides the DVD playback functionality.

I installed the AC3Filter, and that resolved the issue, but it's bothersome that the problem occurred in the first place, and the solution was to install yet another utility / codec. That shouldn't be necessary.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes, especially with DVD players, they make such an effort to become indispenable that they end up actually damaging the current setup of the machine. Though I haven't uninstalled any DVD players lately, I remember that when I first started using them, and often a player would try to install itself from the DVD whether I wanted it or not, that uninstalling caused some codecs to disappear. Possibly they were replaced by the installed player and then removed by uninstallation without restoring the original ones. But, like AOL, they all seem to take more territory than is their due, and then have a scorched Earth policy when leaving so that many people just end up reinstalling in order to get all their functionality back. Not very ethical, but I suppose it sells software.

No idea what may actually have happened in your case, but I'd almost bet WinDVD was behind it.

11. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

DVDs at low volume isn't a local fault as such, I've yet to get a DVD that I don't have to turn up the volume for on my PC. They must be designed that way :confused:

In my experiance PowerDVD is the best player, it even recognises the problem I posted above and "remembers" the volume you played your DVDs at without permenately adjusting the Windows Volume.

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Close enough and the solution also applies to you. Install ac3 filter then under config adjust your Gain. Lucky5tar could also do the same. :)

13. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Hmm I already have AC3 codec, and have no problem playing other video files using AC3. But I'll have a look :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!