1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD-R versus DVD+RW Discs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by poochee, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

New computer with CD and DVD drives. I am unfamiliar with DVD and want to make the Recovery Discs on DVD Discs. Do I use DVD-R or DVD+RW Discs? Also, what is the difference between the two? My DVD drive is labeled: hp dvd driver/cd-writer combo in case you need that info. Guidance needed!!

:confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"My DVD drive is labeled: hp dvd driver/cd-writer combo"

Can you clarify just what it is?

"DVD driver" does not sound right (assume its a typo) but if its a DVD drive/CD-Writer, it does not write DVD's but will read them. It will write CD's

If its a DVD Writer / CD Writer, then it will write DVD's and CD's

The difference in + and - media is the media and the format. If the drive reads and writes both, then it matters not which you use.

DVD-R is the older (and perhaps more compatable with other DVD) format.

3. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

It was a typo. It should have been: hp dvd writer/cd writer combo. Does DVD+RW mean a disc can be read as well as written? HP allows you to make only one set of these recovery discs so I just want to be sure I don't make an error. Thanks for the info you gave me. It helped.

Have heard from friends that your country is very beautiful.

4. Bman

Bman

poochee,
    I have a similar HP drive... DVD+RW can be 'written' more than once, where a DVD-R is a 'write-once' disk. Your drive will work with either of these, as well as write CD+RW and CD-R disks. The main difference between the two is capacity... a regular CD is 650 MB, and the DVD is 4.7 GB. Should be some general info in your computers help files.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you can only make 1 copy, do not use RW media.

Its less reliable in my experience.

Use DVD-R or DVD+R.

Not RW.

Yes this country is indeed beautiful. Its coming into spring now as well, so things are starting to flower.

Attached Files:

6. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

I checked help but still needed some clarification. You cleared it up for me.

Thank you for the help!

7. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

Thank you for the beautiful picture!!

8. poochee

poochee Thread Starter

To Bman: Thanks for the information!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice