1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD recorder corrupt driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alleyoop11, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alleyoop11

Alleyoop11 Thread Starter

How do I replace my Asus DVD recorder's corrupt driver. I know the recorder works, as I have 2 OS on my computer. Suddenly though, on one OS, my recorder isn't recognized. I've tried updating the driver but am told I'm using the latest driver. In which folder do these drivers reside?
    Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried going into device manager and uninstalling - rebooting windows to the OS that is a problem and then allowing that OS to refind new hardware and install again

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It wouldn't matter if you knew where the driver was. You couldn't install it even if you had it.

No drivers are needed for optical drives, so make no attempt to install or replace them.

What makes you think the driver is "corrupt"? What does Device Manager say about it? If it is error 39 try this:

1. Click on "Start" button, the click on "Run".

2. Enter "regedit.exe" and press "Enter".

3. When regedit starts, open up the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/
    {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.

4. After clicking on {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "upperfilters"
    "lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press "Delete" key and click "Yes".

Or you can download this reg file to do the same thing.

Use CDGone Variant if the other didn't work or you once had Roxio, but use the other one first.

4. Alleyoop11

Alleyoop11 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, yes I did uninstall but it didn't reinstall on restart.
    The reason I thought it was a corrupt driver was from the Device manager message, 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
    I used the fix you suggested & it works fine now.
    Thank you very much.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes error messages are wrong, too. The only thing you know for sure when you get one is that something is wrong, no matter what the error says.

It would have been helpful if you had included that error message in your first post.

Thanks for the followup.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice