1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] DVD-Rom Drive not reading.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2laws, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

After placing a cd into my dvd-rom drive, I get a " device not ready" message when I double click the drive. My burner works just fine. Please Help! I tried another driver, and many other tactics. Nothing seems to work. Im at my wits end with this one. Willing to try anything.

2. n2gun

n2gun

What brand and model of drive is it?? Also what dvd software are you using?

3. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

Samsung SD 604 DVD-Rom.

4. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

I dont know what software. Im a dummy! :)
    I have a cdrw drive also, it works perfectly. They are both on the same IDE ribon. DVD rom is set @master, cdrw slave. All ribons connected securely. IDe setting say's: Prim master-Hard disk
    Prim slave- none
    Second master- cd rom
    Second slave- cd- rom.
    What do I do?

5. n2gun

n2gun

I use a program called "PowerDVD" Player to display my movies. Some of the movies I have watched gave me the option to install software of the dvd and after trying it once with problems I do not install it anymore. I believe PowerDvd is available on the net but not sure where. It works great for me. Looked for drivers for your DVD but could not find any. Maybe somebody else can help you there.

6. n2gun

n2gun

BTW I also have mine configured the same way with no problems. Also I have my audio cable hooked to my dvd and use it to play my music cd's.
    Also in control panel > system > device manager > It should list your drive as a dvd drive and probably will say Samsung sd-604. Click on it then click properties and see if auto detect is checked. This lets it detect the dvd when inserted.

7. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

Auto insert notification is checked. How is your IDE set in your Bios? Do you have a second drive connected to your DVD-Rom also?

8. n2gun

n2gun

I have my bios set to auto detect and I have dvd as master and cd-rw as slave on my secondary ide.

9. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

I might be confused. I get to my bios by hitting delete during boot up. Once I enter, my bios has like 4 different areas that I can choose from. When I choose Auto detect, It opens up and starts to detect my IDE settings. Thats when I noticed that my cd rom is set at sec master and sec slave. For some reason it doesnt aout detect my DVD-rom. However, I do see it listed in the dos section during start up. Does this make any sense?

10. 2laws

2laws Thread Starter

Problem solved!!! After trying everything else, I decided to try out a new cd-rom. After installing it, everthings fine. Problem must have been with the DVD-Rom drive. Probably went bad.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice