Solved: dvd rom missing in my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wtxcowboy

helped a friend reinstall windows xp using the symantec restore option in her dell dimension 2400, F11 + ctrl keys, alls well but the dvd rom isn't showing in hardware manager or my computer. not sure where 2 go from there. have googled but other than tons of threads, haven't found a real solution yet. she's technically challenged, so doubt she will take the cover off 2 see if any cables have come loose etc. any ideas??? THANKS!!! (y)

wtxcowboy

i'll have her try that. gonna ask her 2 delete the upper & lower filters also & see if that works. thx 4 the suggestion!!!:D

wtxcowboy

doesn't show any filters in the registry, so accessed the bios & just says unknown device and instead of being set to auto, was off so had her set it to auto save changes & exit, rebooted & still not showing in my computer or hardware manager. think the drive might be wore out or a cable is loose. hard 2 say without taking the cover off i guess. Thx!! (y)

Try manual setting in BIOS . It is at least being seen if not understood since it is present as an unknown device . If that fails then I'd be inclined to just get a new drive and swap old for new at today's prices :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online