1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD Roms Not showing up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gidget694u, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gidget694u

gidget694u Thread Starter

Don't know what happened, as never had problem before and been running Vista for a while now. I went to update my nortons today, and discovered neither one of my roms are showing up under the computer icon when opened. They are showing up in the Device manager but both have an exclamation over them. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem, as I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out. I tried uninstall, but only so they came back the same with exclamation points. I can not use my roms at all. HELP.....:confused:

2. Timmy69

Timmy69

this may look like a hardware conflict or some how the driver for the 2 devices have been corrupted.
    Either case, choose to uninstall both object from device manager and restart the computer
    The hardware install wizard will discover them and will try to install
    Insert in the driver CD that come with each drive model and reinstall.

**if you don't have the driver CD, try to look at the manufacturer's website for support.

3. steveie85

steveie85

Try these steps:

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1.In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2.Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3.Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4.Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5.In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

6.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7.When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:

Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1.In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2.Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3.Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4.Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5.In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

6.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7.When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:

Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

8.Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

Steps above can also be found here. Only follow these steps if you feel comfortable doing them.

4. robinredbreast

robinredbreast

There was a known bug in Vista where DVD's were 'lost' There are anumber of free utilities on the internet which will fix this. I used CDgone, which any search engine will pick up. Without sounding patronising, have you updated Vista? Certainly SP1 has a fix for this problem built in.

5. gidget694u

Oh darn it! I've been so busy with candle making, as that is what I do. I forgot to sign in to let everyone know that I was able to find the fix within searching the internet. Surprisingly enough, it was the same one you gave me Steve. Thanks a bunch! In reading early through the posts, I seen many had the same problem as I, but wasn't about to go through all the work they did, so just searched until I found something.

6. robinredbreast

robinredbreast

Ok, glad you are all ok again. Thanks for letting me know

Robin

7. gidget694u

You are so welcome. I hope other people that are having the same problem will come across this thread, before doing all the reformatting, buying new roms, etc. as I had read in some of the threads. :)

8. steveie85

steveie85

You are welcome for the fix gidget. I have had that problem several times on a Dell Laptop and that is what they had me do.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice