1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DVD+-RW/+-R won't recognize Blank DVD-R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pwrof3, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

Hello! I did a forum search for this problem and no one has come up with an answer yet. I am using an I/O Magic Internal 16x DVD+-RW/+-R. I made a copy of a DVD using "1 Click DVD Copy" and everything worked great.
    I am now using Nero Vision Express 2 to record an edited home movie from Windows Movie Maker. I inserted a blank DVD (Imation DVD-R 8x) and now my computer will not recognize the blank media. In "My Computer", the drive went from being listed as a DVD-RW/CD-RW drive to just simply a CD Drive.
    This is the second time I have had this happen to a DVD burner after it's first use.
    I have done everything I can think of like Nero Sweep and re-installing the drivers, but nothing works. Does anyone know what is going on? I find it hard to believe that two different DVD Burners would both be faulty after one use.

Specs: Intel Celeron 2.5 Ghz
    1GB RAM
    Windows XP Home SP2

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Try a different make of DVD......my DVD only likes certain makes....maybe not the problem but an easy one.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Might be a registry problem.

You can either manually create a reg file from the text below and run it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

----

Or download one and have it run automatically for you:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Where did you get the copy of NeroVision Express 2 from?

If was "OEM" (bundled with a drive) then it may only work with the exact drive type it was supplied with, it wil not "recognise" a different make or model of drive?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the first post, it sounds like the computer isn't even recognizing the DVD drive as a DVD drive. Is that correct? If so then you are pretty much are going to need to get that resolved before any software is going to work correctly.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Really Bob, I think you missed this sentence:
    "I am using an I/O Magic Internal 16x DVD+-RW/+-R. I made a copy of a DVD using "1 Click DVD Copy" and everything worked great. "

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Keep reading -

"I am now using Nero Vision Express 2 to record an edited home movie from Windows Movie Maker. I inserted a blank DVD (Imation DVD-R 8x) and now my computer will not recognize the blank media. In "My Computer", the drive went from being listed as a DVD-RW/CD-RW drive to just simply a CD Drive."

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

2 points!!!

9. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

The Nero software was bundled with the I/O Magic burner I am currently using.

10. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

How would I go about fixing that problem? I've tried upgrading the firmware and it still doesn't work.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Too bad that registry edit didn't work. Did you try rebooting after running it?

12. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

Well, I am currently not at home so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm justr trying to get as many suggestions as possible for when I get home in about an hour.

13. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

Well, I just tried that, and it didn't work for me :( I'm going to try and burn the DVD anyway and see if Nero recognizes the DVD. It may just be a Windows problem...
    Although when I do put in a blank DVD and click on the changed "CD Drive" logo, it says that D:\ is not accesible.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would expect that to happen with a blank DVD or CD. There is nothing on it yet so it is not accessable.

What happens when you put in a CD with something on it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/507328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice